• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Computer problem

A wipe and reload is basically formatting the hard disk to wipe it clean and then reloading the entire operating system and all the programs. I have no idea what the cost would be. But if you have the restore media it is a pretty easy process.

Hunt

That’s a pretty open ended question. Depending on if you need a new HDD or newer up-to-date software. Are you using the restore media? Do you need data recovered and restored (Data Back Up). You could call 10 different companies and get 10 different prices. I would recommend find someone you trust and go with it.

These days the last thing you want to do is hand over all your personal data to a stranger you don't trust.

Also you may want to weigh the cost of replacement vs. repair. Computers are cheap these days.

Good luck!

I like disk imaging but, if you run into problems and need to reinstall your operating system newegg.com is a great place to find operating systems. Windows 7 OEM version is under 140.00 and you can get XP a lot cheaper.

simple1

I like disk imaging but, if you run into problems and need to reinstall your operating system newegg.com is a great place to find operating systems. Windows 7 OEM version is under 140.00 and you can get XP a lot cheaper.

simple1

Why would you pay for another copy of the operating system that he already owns? He just needs to reload it.

Because most computer companies no longer give you a disk to restore from and most people do not make the disks themselves. I also like to have the disk for a clean install without any of the extra "features" that companies put on your computer for you. And he is asking what it will cost and never said he has the disk to restore from. Having your own disk can save you time and money. I like to have a "clean computer with all my programs, work, excel, and others installed and then make a disk image.

Thanks,

Simple1

My point is, what are they going to charge him to do this plus time away from his computer. If he had his own copy they he could do this himself with no one else have access to his personal information. So simply add up all the costs and see if purchasing a clean copy is for you. Take the cost of the service, time they have your computer, someone else having access to all your info. Then decide if its right for you. If this only happens once, it may be benificial for him to use the service. How many times does this have to happen to make purchasing his own copy a better buy.