• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Epoxy help

It has been a while since I built a rod. I bought 2hr devcon epoxy and did glue 1 rod but it seemed like the epoxy was setting up while I was mixing it. I did measure it out about 1cc out of a syringe of each part. Did I mix up too little at a time? I thought this is what I used before.

Or am I using the wrong epoxy?

Thanks for the help!

i have mixed fairly small amounts of devcon before and havent had many problems. I'm not sure what epoxy you are using i use the stuff called 2 ton which gives 30 mins until it is dried, it gives about 10-15 min working time but i use it on lures not rods. Check how long your epoxy takes to dry, 2 hour might be until fully cured which might be the 10 min dry time epoxy instead of the 30min.

Are you using the epoxy for gluing your handle to the blank or for protecting the thread on the guides? If you're gluing the handle you should be okay with what you've got. However, the guides require a two part epoxy such as Classic Rod Coat, Flexcoat or others.

Unfrozen: Devcon 2 ton IS a 2 part epoxy

OP: I don't know why you're having issues with it Mark, I've never had issues with D2T.

It's not so expensive you have to be very stingy with it, just make sure you mix fairly equal amounts by volume of the two parts.

When I use it I wouldn't imagine I mix more than 1 or 2 cc at a time.

That is the wrong product for the job. You need a special epoxy like Flex Coat or a similar product. There more out there than I can remember. If you want to go the cheap route and are not that fussy about the finish can use polyurathane or regular varnish and put on a 4 or 5 coats to protect the thread, but it may yellow and or crack with age.

It is formulated so that creates a strong durable surface to protect the threads yet stays flexible and cures slowly to allow it to flow out and level itself. The slow cure process also helps to release bubbles introduced during the mixing and applying process.

Like others have said, you are using the wrong epoxy for that application.

I personally prefer using Threadmaster brand but any of the epoxies marketed for rod finishing will work well. You can buy Flexcoat loaded syringes for around $10 and that will be more than enough epoxy to finish 2 rods.

A few tips --- Set the bottles in warm water to warm the epoxies before measuring, this will help with the mixing. I never mix less than 3cc from each bottle and slowly stir for at least 3 minutes. Pour the mixed epoxy onto tin foil and let it sit for a few minutes to release the bubbles. Apply the epoxy with a spatula (cut up business/credit cards work really well and you can customize the size for the application) to all the guides first and them come back and do touch up work to ensure all the thread is covered.