• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

advice with bleeding paws

MR.PB

looking for help with this.

my 2year old lab has developed a problem with bleeding paws when we play outside on the crusted snow. We hunted hard a couple of weeks ago and it really hasn't healed. seems to be bleeding around the nails--so there are no cuts or visible injury. Realizing that the crusted snow is the culprit, should it take this long to heal ? Should I keep him inactive for any length of time ?

Ideas ?

Let him heal, Mine has a high threshold of pain aswell, she goes 85lbs. and is very active and has had some spotting this week too. Just limit the activity, and wipe the paws before they come inside, if a paw is dinged they will show it right away. This weather is hard on us and pets. Check with the vet for any concerns. smile

If he's on roads or anywhere with salt/chemicals, be sure to clean his paws when he comes in. Boots (we have Muttluks) really help for walks, but they are a little slick, and we don't use them for play time--just walks. They keep the salt off of the paws and keep them from getting too cold. This cold, dry weather snap we've been having is tough on dogs and humans alike!

When they get rough and cracked, udder balm can really help.