• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Dog

YoMan

My dad is thinking about picking up a 1 year old male GSP that has had 1 season of hunting this Friday. I currently have a 14 month old female choc Lab and was wondering if it would be a good idea to keep the 2 in the same kennel for now.

My Lab is an outdoor dog, and I currently have her in a 12x6 kennel. Her dog house is a custom built 4'x 4'.

The reason why the owner is giving it away, is because it doesn't get along with another one of his male GSP. I don't know which one was the aggressor, but will find out this Friday.

But if it were the aggressor, since our dog is female, she would be more submissive and this could work right? She is great around kids and gets along with other dogs. Plays a little rough with smaller dogs but I have never seen any aggression.

My plan was to keep the GSP in the garage at night, and have them out together during the day (monitoring) for a couple days, before having them in the same kennel.

I really want this to work since it is too dang cold, and there is too much snow to rearrange the yard.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks

Just because your current dog is female does not imply that she will not be agressive at all. I have a female as well that loves people and other dogs, and never shows agression. On the other side though, when we watch other dogs, and they try to establish themselves over her, she doesn't respond very well. She wont attack them, but will let them know they do not "rule the roost." So don't expect your current dog to be submissive.

So we picked up the GSP (Hunter) this past Sunday, and though I was skeptical at first, it turned out to be a great move! He was really underweight, but besides that had a great attitude and is pretty obedient. He is gradually gaining his weight back.

Turns out that there wasn't really an aggression issue, the owner couldn't afford him and had to let him go. He gets along great with my lab and they share the same dog house (for now).

He has 4-5 hunts under his belt. Can the opener be any longer!