• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Surf Rod

I have not built anything like that myself. But the first thing I would ask is what is he going to be throwing(how heavy) whether it is bait or lures, what kind of reel, if it is spinning, what size? Size of the reel would dictate the size of at least the 1st guide. Many rods of that style range up to 13'. But from my reading the shorter guys don't do so well with the really long rods. Handle length will also be dictated but his size, especially arm length. Too long for a short guy and it will be awkward to throw and too short you will lose some leverage from a 2 handed cast.

You will obviously want to match the blank power to the weight of the bait/lures he will using. And whether bait or lures may affect to speed of the blank you choose. Guides, if it is a spinning rig the size of the reel will help choose the size of the guide and how fast you go down to smaller sizes. Weight of the guides is not going to be a huge issue on a surf rod, at least not like a Walleye or Crappie rod.

Clear as mud grin

There are several very good surf blanks in the St. Croix line-up, ranging from 7' to 12'. Batson introduced a new series in 2009 that has 14 blanks from 8' to 13'.

Need a lot more information before a recommendation can be made: casting or spinning, lure size, handle material preference, what species are being targeted, etc. Obviously (I think) the rod will be used in salt water, so the guides must be of stainless to resit corrosion.

Surf rods are required to perform under some of the most demanding and difficult situations the angling world has to offer. Think about it... 100 yard casts, big baits, big fish yet they have to be light enough to fish with all day long.

We'd be happy to assist but right now it is a poke in the dark for a recommendation.