• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Aggressive Dog

GSP4EVER

I have an 8 month old german shorthair. He is well behaved to a point. Since I got him in July we have taken him to the local dog park 3-4 times a week without any issues until now. Recently he has become aggressive towards other puppies that are his size. SO I have 2 questions. Does anybody have any advice on how to correct this? Will he become less aggressive when he is nutered later this winter.

Mike

I think we need more information to help out. What behaviors is your pup displaying that are "aggressive"? Is it dominant aggression, fear aggression, nervous aggression? What provokes the aggression? All dogs? Only other un-cut males?

Let me preface the rest of my advice with this: Neutering your dog is your own choice and it certainly does have its benefits so Im not trying to create a debate on whether or not you should. You have already made that choice and Im not going to spend any time convincing you otherwise because there is no right or wrong here, only a personal choice.

Having said that, many people have un-realistic expectations about what neutering your dog will achieve. It will prevent un-wanted pregnancies, has certain health benefits (although it increases the chance for other health risks), and can stop some of those un-desired male behaviors before they start.

In this case, I dont think neutering him is going to change his aggression. If it is male dominance aggression, the problem has already started and from here on out you will have to manage that behavior because neutering generally doesnt stop behaviors the pup has already learned. If it is another type of aggression (fear, nervous, etc.), it is most likely not a result of having his organs intact and removing them wont change it.

Pups testosterone levels dont really get to their peak until they are about year old, so with the limited amount of information I have, I dont think this is necessarily testosterone driven.

Your best bet is to try and help your pup learn new behaviors through training. If you could reply with some more specifics we can offer some more advice on how to do this.

This morning for instance, I took him to the dog park. We were there for about a half hour when another person arrived with there three huskys one of them obviously being a puppy I would guess to be about 6-8 months of age. Woody (my GSP) was playing with another lab that was already there. As soon as that pup got inside the gate Woody stopped what he was doing and made a bee-line for the pup. His hair was standing on end and he was growling. He knocked that pup right over and I dont know what he would have done if I wouldnt have pulled him off. He had the pup by the collar and on the ground.

This is my first expierence(?) with a GSP. This is also the first time I have seen this kind of behavior in a dog. He goes after both males and females. He does not get aggressive with small dogs or adult dogs. I dont how to tell whats "dominant", "fear", or "nervous" aggression.

I didnt think nutering him would have an effect, but it didnt hurt to ask. I didnt decide to neuter him because of his behavior. I just dont plan to use him for breeding or have him registered with AKC although I have the paperwork. I dont plan to do field trials or anyother type of cometitions with him. He his just my hunting and fishing buddy. I do consider him well socialized. We have been taking him to this dog park since we brought him home at 8 weeks. For the most part he gets along and plays well with the other dogs there and the cocker spaniel that we have at home aswell. This behavior just started within the last couple of weeks. I hope this helps. Your advice and tips are much appreciated.

I think we need more information to help out. What behaviors is your pup displaying that are "aggressive"? Is it dominant aggression, fear aggression, nervous aggression? What provokes the aggression? All dogs? Only other un-cut males?

In this case, I dont think neutering him is going to change his aggression. If it is male dominance aggression, the problem has already started and from here on out you will have to manage that behavior because neutering generally doesnt stop behaviors the pup has already learned. If it is another type of aggression (fear, nervous, etc.), it is most likely not a result of having his organs intact and removing them wont change it.

Pups testosterone levels dont really get to their peak until they are about year old, so with the limited amount of information I have, I dont think this is necessarily testosterone driven.

Your best bet is to try and help your pup learn new behaviors through training. If you could reply with some more specifics we can offer some more advice on how to do this.

I do not agre with your statement that nuetering this dog will not change this dog's aggressive traits. Though testosterone may indeed peak at 1 year of age, it is certainly coursing through his body now and he is at this time, (I feel) exhibiting the traits of this hormone with his behavior. No different than young bucks with their first racks trying to show dominance over each other. It is generally accepted that 2 out 3 dogs with aggressive tendencies, will be corrected through nuetering. Once nuetered it takes 2-4 weeks for the testosterone in the body to be removed naturally. After that you should begin to see a difference in your dog. Though not a guarantee, it is a step that can be utilized to help calm down dominance aggression in male dogs. Remove the ability to produce testosterone and you take away the fuel to want to fight in most instances. Now there are going to be dogs and certain breeds that will not change aggressive behavior due to being nuetered, but I would not put sporting breeds in that category.

You can and should work on behavior issues now prior to nuetering, and not rely solely on the procedure to correct your problem, but it should make the task much easier. I myself would not hold off till the end of winter to complete the procedure, A long talk with your vet will help you to make a qualified/educated decision. My personal belief is that you and your dog will not garner any positives by waiting an additional 3-4 months vs. doing the procedure now.

Good Luck!

Ken

Keep in mind that I am responding to you as a fellow dog owner and hunter, not as a professional of any sort. I have a 4 year old female Chesapeake Bay Retriever and a 1 year old intact male GSP.

It sounds like your dog is having some dominance issues - another dog he feels is a rival enters the area that has become Woody's territory and Woody wants to let them know where they stand with him. He doesnt do it to bigger or smaller dogs because puppyies are more visual than adults - size does make a difference to them. This goes away with age...

The key is going to be recognizing this situation before it happens. An e-collar COULD work as a remote check cord (remember to do collar conditioning, dont just shock him) as long as you catch it first, but in the heat of an incident the dog may associate the stimulation with aggression from the other dog and it will escalate.

If your dog doesnt call off, he is ignoring you. The only solution for this is to work on his re-call with training and supplement by asserting your dominance at all times. Walk through doors first, up stairs first, dont share food, keep him off the furniture, make him wait to eat his food until you say OK while it is right in front of him, dont let him jump all over you, dont let him win games when you play, or any other combination of things that puts you higher up than him. Its very hard to do all of them all the time, but the more consistent you are, the better luck you will have.

Bottom line, look for training on re-call with a check cord and then with an e-collar. Work on being the dominant dog in the house - there is plenty of material on this online. Most importantly, take a break from the dog park until his re-call improves so he doesnt get any worse. Make sure to give him excercise of some other kind - walks, runs, treadmill, etc.

This site will help you, there is many free articles and streaming video. The site is not just for protection type dogs, most issues are not breed specific. There is also numberous things on neutering that should be consider before your do.

[Note from Admin: Please read forum rules before posting again]

READ THIS ABOUT DOG PARKS!!!!!

If he truly is dominant (probably not, just lacks proper pack leadership, no offense) then you better start doing your homework.....

Sounds like OutlawTorn knows what he is talking about

Have fun training!!!!

This is great advice. Now that I think about it, I have kinda slacked off on the obedience training and have only been working on hunting training lately. Which has been succesful as we got our first pheasant last week. But out in the field he is pretty good. I do have him whisle trained and have an e-collar as a back up. HE responds to the whistle very well and I never have to use more than the tone on the collar. I will be taking a break from the dog park and just take him to the gun club near here and let him run there. I have considered using the e collar at the dog park. He already get excited when he sees it and knows we are going to do something fun. Thanks for the advice. It is great and we (myself and woody) appreciate it. Keep it coming. Right now, me and Woody have some work to do before bed. Time for a walk. I hope everyone has a safe and wonderful Christmas. Thanks again.

Also, someof the things mentioned are already in place. Like the making him wait until I say ok for meals, not sharing food, not jumping on me (or other people). Neutering is happpening in January during my next week off. Thats been planned since I got him.