• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How to prepare for this spring - New Lawn?

blongtin

Well we constructed a new home that we just moved into. I have a few decent sized areas that I'm going to have to seed next year, then a lot of misc spots all around the yard that need to be seeded (vehicle ruts, etc). Is there anything that you guys would recommend I do right now? Or when should I start in the spring time working on it?

We are in a low lying area, so our soil will take quite a bit of time to dry out in the spring. I also want to bring in some more black dirt to level things out, and create a way for water to drain instead of pooling up everywhere. Whatever I bring in will all be top soil to use for the lawn. I have a couple of dogs, and I'm really dreading this spring when it's muddy and they're running around in it. Would it be a bad idea to put down some straw over it right now to prevent some of the mud/dog issues? I figure I'll either have to rake it all up eventually, or just put the top soil over the straw next summer then plant the grass. Any ideas?

Well we constructed a new home that we just moved into. I have a few decent sized areas that I'm going to have to seed next year, then a lot of misc spots all around the yard that need to be seeded (vehicle ruts, etc). Is there anything that you guys would recommend I do right now? Or when should I start in the spring time working on it?

We are in a low lying area, so our soil will take quite a bit of time to dry out in the spring. I also want to bring in some more black dirt to level things out, and create a way for water to drain instead of pooling up everywhere. Whatever I bring in will all be top soil to use for the lawn. I have a couple of dogs, and I'm really dreading this spring when it's muddy and they're running around in it. Would it be a bad idea to put down some straw over it right now to prevent some of the mud/dog issues? I figure I'll either have to rake it all up eventually, or just put the top soil over the straw next summer then plant the grass. Any ideas?

You could do the highlighted line, or if you have the extra money, hurry up and you could still sod this fall. You'd probably get a bit of a break on the sod as well.

It'll help with soil runoff as well.

In the spring, when you get ready to put down the top soil, personally I'd rake up as much as you can, just to help with spreading the top soil easier.

If it's not too thick, it wouldn't be a problem, but if you spread it out somewhat thick, the straw will move around as you're trying to spread the top soil.

If you're looking for matting to keep the dogs feet clean, you could also find some erosion control matting, and roll that out.

In the spring, you can just roll it back up again.

It'll be spendier, harder to find this time of year, but it's out there.

I would also consider spending some time trying to figure out what you can do before you get the black dirt. If you have heavy clay you need to do A,B & C. If lots of sand then X, Y and Z. i don't know what the correct answers are for each, but I do know that too many times folks just spread an inch or two of 'black dirt' and expect miracles. Then you have to consider whether you will sod or seed. I prefer seeding myself in large part because it's cheaper - a bit more work but I don't charge myself for that. Good quality seed, some starter fertilizer and some straw and you'll be surprised at how fast things get squared away. Some erosion material may be needed if you have a hilly area.

I would urge you also to consider putting part of the landscape into native materials. Depending on how large of a yard you have it can end up being an atractive low maintenance area that will provide you with the extra benefits of critters and various things that your neighbors won't have.

There probably are going to be some landscaping seminars or lawn and garden shows in March or so. Wander around and see what you can learn. You have a great opportunity to do it 'right' and it won't get easier in the future if you booger it up and have to do the re-do.