• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mixed lower unit lube

anchor man

I just winterized my Yam. F150, but since the pump I bought didn't fit the drain hole I lost more oil on the floor than expected and had to end up using a bottle of a different brand to top it off. I have about 80% Suzuki Hypoid oil and had to top off with Citgo premium gear lube to fill the void and force out any moisture. Would it be best if I drain the

lower unit before running in the spring and get all one brand/style in it, or is it not a problem?

Thanks

Maybe --- --- ??

Marine lower units require a GL4 that is NOT GL5 rated. If either is GL5 definitely change out to the correct, especially before running in the spring (shouldn't hurt for overwinter storage). If both of these are marine they should both be GL4. If the Citgo is automotive differential it is GL5 and you will need to change the mix to the correct.

(GL5 in a marine causes problems with the yellow metal, brass and bronze, bushings and bearings used in most marine lower units.)

My recommendation: AMSOIL Marine Gear Lube - will even tolerate up to 10% water and not lose lubrication protection (but won't give freeze protection).