• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Teaching an old dog new tricks...

Leff

Can it be done?

Hi all, I have a dilemma and I'm not sure what to do or if there is even anything I can do.

So here's the deal, sorry it's a little long winded......

I have a 8yr old lab mix that I have been moderately hunting birds with during his life (I was never a bird hunter until him and we've pretty much taught each other how to hunt). It all began during his second fall (1.5 yr old) when we still lived way up north. He jumped a grouse and I saw the fire in his eye, so I got my Old Man's shotgun and we started chasing birds. I never took it too seriously, the grouse population was at an all time low at the time, and I also thought that overall he was doing fine off of instinct. He would flush the occasional bird and every once in a while, would follow it right to the tree it landed in. All was good.... It was a great excuse to wander around the woods and get each other exercise and every once in a while get a meal.

After a few years we began doing some pheasant hunting together and he seemed to really take to that game much better. He even would point on occasion! I was lovin it! I almost started bragging that I had a great pheasant dog!

Then there was a few years where we didn't get out after pheasants too much anymore until I moved down to SW MN for a job 3 falls ago.

Well, these last few years I've ramped up my game, but the pooch has been a total disaster! And tonight was the last straw!

He does everything just fine..... He zig-zags around great and comes when I whistle or call. It's all good..... UNTIL he gets birdy.... then all bets are off! There hasn't hardly been a bird he's jumped that he hasn't chased across the field first. It's EXTREMELY frustrating and I just don't know what to do.

I've tried theathering him to me with a long rope, but that fails as soon as we get into thick cover or he tangles himself all up in the rope. The only thing I can think of is a shock collar, which I have been hesitant to get because I'm not sure it would do what I want it to do, or how I should properly use it, and the cost as well.

I mean he's doing what I want him to do.... he's finding the birds and flushing them up, he's just doing from a long distance.

Does anyone have any advise? Is there a way to change this behavior?

This evening may have been my last time hunting birds with him.... It's just no fun anymore.......

Thanks for any help you can give! I'm all ears! smile

Sometimes you need to learn to 'hunt the dog.' All dogs are different. Years ago I hunted with my first husky (samoyed.) He was fantastic, flushed, fetched, moved by hand and nonverbal commands, even pointed if the bird holds. But, if a rooster got on the run I went with him.

Its counter productive to yell or whistle loud commands, the birds will be out of there in a hurry. It worked best to go with the dog, flush that bird. Then circle back and hunt slowly for any birds that sat tight.

Sounds like you hunt mostly alone so you don't need to worry (or care) about how others in your party react.

A huge part of pheasant hunting is being in the right position for a shot whether that means keeping up with a hot dog or seeing past an obstruction.

Remember, regardless of whether the dog is on its scent that rooster is still on the run as soon as it knows you're in the field. It won't stop until it finds secure cover or flushes beyond range. Your only hope at a shot is to catch up. A fast walk is sufficient, no need to run - safety first!

Its certain most will tell you to correct the dog but likely you'll be more successful adjusting your hunting style.

Good luck and go after him!

I am far from an expert, i have been getting older dogs from the pound my whole life. Every one has been a block head male lab that knows all the obidience but will not obey. Only when he wants to. One time out with a shock collar will show him that you mean business and that when you tell him a command he needs to follow it. Most will only need it one time, i put mine on my dog just to make sure he knows i mean business. I rarely ever shock the dog, the vibrate feature is a wonderful thing.

Also dont just crank the collar up to 100 start it at the lowest setting that gets the dog attention. If 20 is not working go to 30 ect.ect. He will get the point.

Just make sure understands and knows the commands you are telling them. If they dont know basics the e-collar is not a good choice.

Bring him back to basic obedience. You say he is good until he gets on scent...then he is not good. Bring him to the park or somewhere with LOTS of distractions. Work obedience over, and over, and over, and over. Let him off lead, work obedience. If he fails to obey a command, put him back on lead. Work obedience again. The lead is control to the dog.

If you can foot the bill for some game farm "birds" get him on those in controled situations. Let him catch a wiff with him on a long check cord. Let him get hot, but do not let him outside of your range. If he does, give a command and IMMEDIATELY reinforce it. He needs to learn commands are always followed, not only when he wants to, even when there is bird scent.

I would work a collar very hesitantly. Shocking a dog on scent is not a good thing to do, and may do more harm then good. The collar in training could help though.

Thanks everyone! Good advice!

I'm thinking Farmboy1 is right on! It does come down to the basics of obedience. He needs to learn to come when I call, REGARDLESS!

This is where the "old dog, new tricks" comes into play. Can I teach an 8 yr old male lab to come regardless of how hot the scent is?????? I guess there's only one way to find out, and I'm thinking the job will be easier with an e-collar.

We'll see what happens!

Thanks again!