• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

keeping OB motor ready for winter use...

CALVINIST

thanks for the help guys. i successfully changed my lower unit lube this evening and it was pretty fun. i love doing stuff like that. it was kind of messy and would have helped to have another hand there but it worked out fine. it gave me another reason to go to FF and i always loooove going there. it was sad to see them taking down all of their open water stuff and making room for the ice fishing gear. i also got some fogging oil and since i dont have a pair of muffs im going to have to do it next time i go fishing... will my motor start up after i spray the stuff in there and then it kills? i'll most likely be out on pool 2 so i will definitely want my motor running.. i could always just do it right before i go in for the night too.

How did the lower unit oil look?

Since your going to continue to use the outboard this Fall you'll need to at least inspect for water. If there was water in there when you changed the oil then for sure it'll need to be drained and replaced again.

it looked pretty good... it looked pretty much the same color as the stuff i put back in there, just a little lighter colored.. i noticed on here that guys said to look out for "milky" colored stuff.. well, i wouldnt say it was milky.. however, i did notice a very very small amount of water in the top of the drain cup after the oil had time to displace the water... it was very minimal.. i'm thinking maybe i have some fishing line wrapped around my prop causing water to leak thru a seal?

anyways.. i'm off to st louis missouri for a pair of hockey games this weekend. ill see you guys when i get back