• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

injury help

Ryan_V

new puppy had a mishap this a.m.... was moving boats around in the shed and she got her front foot under the dolly wheel. she yelped pretty good. I grabbed her and noticed quite a bit of blood. I got it cleaned up and noticed the skin above her nail has split. I don't believe anything is broken. she has been hopping around like normal, but after a few hours she's developed a limp. it stopped bleeding pretty quickly, the nail is still there, but you can see right down where the skin split..any advice?? she is a 7 week old GSP. after that, she seems pretty quiet and tired. not sure if it's because of the foot, or because she's had a busy couple days and is plain [PoorWordUsage] out.

thanks for any advice!!

Clean it and apply some antiboitic. I often use Bactine for the simply spray application. Watch for swelling and keep an eye on her. Paws are tough and heel well, even ripped nails. So feel it now and then to be sure it's not too hot (sign of infection.) Otherwise I likely wouldn't be too concerned unless she stops using the paw completely or favors it more that a couple days. But, if it's hot, swollen and she won't put any weight on it then bring her in.

Also, move the toes, check that they are straight with the nails . If a toe is broke you'll know it.

Good luck.