• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Should I or shouldn't I?

So I have been debating an upgrade. I have the older gripped Rebel XT that I bought from Steve a year ago. Since upgrading to the 1DII the XT stays in the bag most of the time and comes out generally when doing a paid gig as a backup and I use it for a few shots here and there. I also have an old broken Digital Rebel (300D) sitting on the shelf as a reminder not to go for a swim with a camera.

Now for the should I or shouldn't I? I recently called Canon service about the customer loyalty program. I could send in the broken Rebel and upgrade to an XS or XSi (can't remember which one off hand) for 339. I could sell the gripped XT for close to that and be pretty well even. Disadvantage would be not having the grip. For the limited use it gets, I don’t think having double the battery power would be an issue for me. Some of the increases in performance over the 2 or 3 generations of technology are making me want to make the change. Mainly ISO performance and live view. The camera would be used mainly as a portrait camera and also make a nice light weight setup for when I don’t want to lug the 1DII around.

Tell me I should go ahead and do this.

I'd do it.

I wouldn't place much stock in iso performance of the newer bodies over the XT, however. With each improvement in sensor technology Canon also has jammed on a bunch more megapixels. The only current model they've avoided that syndrome on is the 1D3.

Without in-camera noise reduction, the 12 Mp files will be noisier than those on the XT. Does the XSi have the in-camera NR like on the 50D (not sure about that). That would be a big help. If you're using it as a portrait camera, noise would not be much of an issue since you'll generally be shooting at lower iso ratings. And having all those megapixels allows you to crop more and still get good-sized prints.

You can always buy a grip later if you find you need it.

Just IMO. smile

The xsi does have in camera noise reduction. I played with it just once on a long star exposure and the reduction part takes about the same amount of time as the shot takes. So a 20 minute shot and another 20 minutes for the noise reduction to do its thing and then, 40 minutes later, you can see what you got. Ya that was a one time deal since it was a 55 minute exposure. So after that I use the program that came with the camera for noise.

Are the 2 processes and results the same, camera vs. computer doing the task of noise reduction? Besides the time it takes.

The writing to the card of a long image isn't necessarily a function of the in-camera NR taking up a bunch of time.

I don't have any bodies with the 50D-era in-camera NR, and only have a custom function set for NR at long exposures and/or high iso on my bodies. With that enabled, I haven't noticed it takes any longer to write to the card than with it disabled. I haven't put a stopwatch on the comparison, just going by what I've noticed off the cuff.