• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a Black and Tan Coonhound

Lindyrig81

Im looking for a coonhound, a black and tan or a treeing walker maybe. Does anyone know of any breeders in or around Minnesota?

Or any info on the dogs from someone who owns one would be great too.

It will be mostly just a family dog, but I would like to run it once in a while, nothing to serious though.. Just looking for a good fun, well behaved dog..

Thanks for any info recieved!!!

Having owned and run hounds most of my life, I really would not recommend one for a "family dog". They can be obedience trained but it is far more difficult with hounds than most other breeds. If you let a hound out of the house at all your family will spend more time trying to locate him than quality time with him. And if you only plan to hunt occasionally I doubt you or the dog will be very satisfied with the situation.

Theres always exceptions, but i agree with what has been said, i raise hounds and curs and i won't even sell one to a pet home, people that don't understand these dogs will not work well with them, they are hard to obedience train they are hard to keep around they run hard and wide etc....their not house pets at all

ok, I have met a few walker mixes at the humane society lately ( they seem to always have some) and they seem pretty nice, I dont know what I want though, I hear some people say that hounds are horrible family pets and some say that they are one of the best.. Im not looking for a champion lined dog thats gonna wanna run non stop.. But It will be excercised alot with parks/lakes/kids.. How are they in the cold and snow??

As far as hounds being family pet all depends on the dogs certain strains of hounds are more high strung then others. but they do generally make good family dogs as well as hunting.

Also as far as the cold weather there again all goes back to how much hair they have most hounds don't have much but a good dog house with lots of bedding will keep even the short haird do warm with lots of bedding. If you don't want one with lots of hunt maybe you should look into the cur breed they hunt with you more so then alot of the hounds now days

If you want a black and tan get ahold of Mark Kirkoff in Brooten minnesota, he's got the best black dogs i've ever seen go period, Houndsman is right though if you want a jack of all trades dogs, the curs are hands down the only way to go, they are excellent family dogs and awesome hunting dogs, there's not a ton in minnesota but there's a few guys around, i can put ya in touch with a few, they work well for most need, i was a hard core hound guy and hunted all over the US, i finally broke down and bought a cur and i'd never get another hound ever, Don't get me wrong i still know some top hounds but all around i like the curs

are you reffering to all types of hounds?

I had a beagle for 15 yrs, and she never ran away once, stuck to my side at all times, was very quiet, pretty much everything oposite of what I was told would happen when I got her.

I was speaking of hounds in general, but of course there are exceptions. Beagle is one breed of hound that has been bred in "both directions", pet/show bred or hunt bred. There are lines of beagles that make fine pets, and some that have an insatiable desire to hunt.

The large hound breeds have been pretty much been bred pure for hunting, but that is not to say they would not make a good pet or family dog for a person persistent with obedience training. Just saying it will not be easy.