• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning the carbs?

EW6

Is this a project that can be done on my own with limited mechanical ability? As I understand it I need to buy a carb cleaning kit, do I have to buy one specific to my motor? (87 Mariner 60 hp) Where would I get that?

Thanks for any help,

Eric

You really don't need a carb cleaning kit. You can get a carb rebuild kit, but I'd start with a good cleaning first.

If you're mechanically inclined you should be able to handle it.. just take your time, be methodical and make sure everything gets back together the same way. If you can, take digital pictures at every step so you know what you removed and where it came from.

Also, prior to removing any jets / needles from the carb, be sure to count the number of turns to bottom the jet out (turn it all the way in and count how many rotations it takes to get there) and re-install the jets / needles the same number of turns from fully bottomed out.

You'll need a air compressor and a can of carb cleaner, take everything apart, blow all the passages out and you should be set.

marine_man

Here are a few tips from a rookie, to piggy back what MM says.

TAKE PICTURES! smile I put the float in upside down, and a pic I took when taking it apart helped me KNOW I did it wrong.

For counting the turns as MM says, I put a piece of tape with the tag sticking out on the screwdriver. It just helps to keep accurate count for idi0ts like me wink

Do it in a VERY CLEAN place. I had to do it on the dock the second time (to put float back on correctly) and some sand from teh dock got into the jet and plugged it, where it wasn't plugged prior. So set it down on clean rag or papertowels, etc. to keep all parts clean.

Good luck, I found it was harder just to remove the starter to get access to the carb on my motor than actually rebuilding the carb itself smile