• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Metro Ice Fishing

Here's how lame I am - I have NO equipment but a rod. MY fiance fishes but only when it's NOT ice fishing. Could someone help me with the bare essentials I will need to start myself off on lone ice fishin'? I will most likely be fishing Nokomis, Harriet & Calhoun in the south Metro area this year.

I realize I'll need an auger and warm clothes. Any other "must haves" that you can suggest?

Also,if anyone needs a metro ice fishing buddy, drop me a line! I am fully willing to scoop slush out of any holes - I do have to say, though, when I want to go ice fishing I want to go ICE FISHING - not sitting in a warm fish house, playing cards & eating cheetos....:0)

------------------

Beagle Woman:
You are anything BUT lame! It's awesome that you have the desire to get out there and fish, by yourself! (I started out the same way, so I know where you're at.)

You will definitely need an auger, but, if you're budget won't allow that purchase right away, you can get by with a chisel to re-open existing holes that others have used. (When you're scouting for a good fishing spot, check for signs of activity like blood on the ice, lots of footprints, and weeds.) If the holes have no evidence of activity, leave them for someone else.

Also, you should have some type of sled to put your gear in if you're walking out. It should be big enough to hold a minnow bucket, auger, rod bucket and cooler. (Always bring extra gloves and kleenex. )

I always pack extra jigs, line, sinkers and a rod or 2. It's a real bummer if you only have one rod and you hook a monster that breaks your line!
The tackle can go in a zipper pouch like a fanny pack, or a carry-on type bag that zips to close. I keep my extra jigs on small jars. Also, Matches stay dry in a jar.

While ice fishing, keep an eye on the anglers around you to see if they are having any action. If they are and you aren't... it's time to move. And of course, make sure the ice is safe before you go out. Look for tracks that others have made.

I'm proud of you! Go for it. Once you catch the ice fishing bug,you can't shake it!!

Metro Ice Fishing

BeagleWoman I know a few gall's in the Twin City area who qualify as fishing nut's, one for sure. If you wish e-mail me and I will send you her address and you two can chat up a trip.

As you are in the city's there is a store there that has great outdoor gear for woman anglers as well as men. Look up Sportsman's Guide. I know they have added a lot of gear to the catalogs for the outdoor woman over the past year. Best thing is they are CHEAP! Great name brand gear at half the price, Gota like that!

REED'S is another place to get some great deals on rod's and tackle. Scott has some deals on rods that were Berkley hold over's from last season. Tell him Backwater Eddy sent ya and he may give ya a better break.

Fisherman Factory outlet is a great web recourse for deals on equipment also check them out too.

http://www.ffo-tackle.com/

Happy Holidays!!

Ho- HO -HO <:o

------------------
Backwater Eddy...><,,>

Backwater Guiding Service
"ED ON THE RED"
1-701-671-3079