• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

ok to remove benches?

fishinsfun

I tried doing a search for this, but found nothing specific. I have a 1997 Lund SV-16 with the bench seats. Could I remove the seats and put in a floor (plus storage, etc.) without compromising the strength? If not, is it possible to add ribs? I love the boat, but not the seats (is that possible?) I really don't want to buy a different boat 'cause I got this one for a good price.

Thanks!

Craig

I did the same thing with my 14' lund. Just figure out how high or low you want the floor. Then mark the center bench across the face at that height. Cut the bench off and leave the lower portion attached to the hull. It add's support and also will make the floor alot more solid. I also ran a set of 2x4's down the center of the hull. You will have to notch them were the ribs are. Cutting the floor the right size will be the toughest part of the job. When you get the floor to your liking, use some L brackets and tie the floor into the end seats. I had someone stand in the corners of the floor so it was at it's lowest point when the brackets were attached. I left the rear and forward benches. Just wanted to not have to jump the seats to get to the front all the time. I also carpeted the floor before putting it in. You also can enclose the bow section for storage. I felt it was a little narrow in the front to put a pedestal in the bow, however you may feel different. Hope this helps. Scott

Thanks for the support guys. I figured there were others who had done it. That's a good thought about leaving the back and front bench. It would make for less work! Even before I thought about a floor, I wanted to enclose the front section for storing life jackets and other such stuff.

I bought a sweet old Crestliner where the old man had done something similar. It's a great little boat, but my one caution would be to get that floor as close to the hull as possible. Smaller boats are inherently tippy, but since yours is a 16 footer, it may be a moot point.