• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Sunnies????

I was on a small central-MN lake on Saturday and found sunfish in the shallows (less than 3 feet) during the middle of the day. It was a mixture of males and females, large and small. On Sunday I was on a different central-MN lake where the surface temps were 64-65 degrees. Here I found the small fish in less than 2 feet of water with the larger ones hanging out in 3 or 4 feet instead. The larger ones related to emerging lily pads and were predominantly male. They would attack anything you threw at them leading me to believe they were starting to make their spawning beds.

I have been catching them for a while on the lakes up by us. Live worms seemed to be the sure way to get a bluegill. We have even caught a 8" bluegill on a jumbo leach on a lindy trolling for eyes. This weekend I was down in pool 6 fishing off the dock and shore and finding them in 6 to 2 feet of water bouncing a 1/16 oz jig off the bottom with a chunk of crawler on it. Almost all the ones I caught were big bull males with only a few smaller fish and a few females, I am guessing through the long weekend I caught close to 40 nice bluegills. I went back into a lake in a island that is kind of a back water and could not find them in there yet but had a northern hit a shad rap. The water clarity has be some of the best I have seen on the river and was able to watch some big bass swimming around in about 2 feet of water where I was catching the bluegills. I even got 2 of the small mouth to bite. One being 19" and the other one was probably around 14", but the 19" one had one heck of a girth, I wish I would have measured the girth but I am guessing it weighed around 5 pounds.