• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

He's never Ice Fished before...

brahambaseball

My neighbor had never been ice fishing before in the ten years he's lived in Minnesota. He's heard me talk about it for the past two years we've lived next to each other though. The other day (Saturday) when it was really nice out, he was outside when I was about to head out to the lake. I asked him if he wanted to go for a few hours. He agreed, and soon after we headed off to Lower Prior Lake. It was slow fishing at first, but around sunset, the crappies started to bite. He was just amazed by the experience: Trucks driving on water; large ice houses on water; and how warm it stayed in the ice house once the sun went down. (we fished outside when it was in the mid 40's). He was so pumped, we ended up staying well longer than we agreed to when we left, and his friend is coming in from Southern California this weekend and he wants to take her out.

Anyway, I have introduced two people in two years, to a sport they never even though about trying. I am happy that I've been able to do this. I just wanted to share!

Here is a picture of him talking to one of a 100 people he had to call and tell them "we walk on water in MN" (I let the cell phone talking get by, because he's a rookie.

Picture0069.jpg

I took a co-workers husband ice fishing for the first time back in December. They are from Virginia and just moved up here.

In my garage I have life jackets hanging for the boat. On our way out I grabbed one and handed it to him. His immediate response was "[PoorWordUsage] do I need this for?" The look on his face was priceless. I told him it was state law and that he had to wear it when on the ice. He said ok and started to walk out of the garage with it.

I only wish I could have kept a straight face the whole time and actually made him wear it on the ice.

I didn't!!! I guess I'm just not as quick minded as some of you guys. ha-ha.

I remember when I was about 15, I went on a trip with the local church group up to the BWCA. The adults bringing us up there had this long, drawn out process to go "snipe hunting." Swear, they had us so pumped up. We talked about it the whole way up, and until we settled at a camp site. That's when we were ready to go "snipe hunting" and they finally had to tell us they were kidding. I was pretty mad, because I really wanted to try it, but looking back, its pretty funny!

I'm off for the day! going to drown some minnows in the SW Metro.

should have been around the first time I took my wife nightcrawler hunting. I told her you had to be very quite and so had to walk a certain way. Needless to say she was pretty mad when she found out I was kidding. Of course laying on the ground laughing might have gave it away.