Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fish&Fowl

night hunting question

8 posts in this topic

Went out tonight to try my luck. 3 degrees and a little wind out of the North, heard lots of yotes but nothing committed at any of the 3 sets I made between 10-11:30pm. Also saw some very fresh sign near where I was set up.

Do you guys that hunt by moonlight usually sit in open fields? I set up out in the middle of some big worked up fields with CRP and woods around them. Seems to me that's the only logical place to sit so you can see them coming.

I haven't really done much night hunting but I think I'll be doing more, especially this time of year when people are out deer hunting still. Thanks for any info.

i set up on edges of plowed fields make sure the wind is blowing from your back across the field... 90% of the time the yotes will come into your call from down wind then it is very easy to spot then and shoot. they will be looking into the woods so you should be well hidden if your in camo. otherwise i dont see any other way to hunt at night

the next problem is scent. i wash all my clothes down to my long underwear in scent blocker laundry soap then keep it all in a big rubbermaid container in my truck. i also use scent blcker spray before each hunt. the other thing i have to say is all this scent hastle is pointless if everytime you get done hunting and get undressed behind the exhaust pipe while your car/truck is warming up. good luck

I try to watch my scent as much as possible and also keep everything outside in a big rubbermaid box. Do you think if you had a rock pile or something blocking a wind at your back that it would help keep your scent from going as far? I was set up so I had a cross-wind so I could watch the downwind side.

I never call with the wind at my back at least in the type of terrain Minnesota has to offer. Until you have called in real open country it's hard to believe how far away they can detect you,likely farther than you are going to see at night. Hunting with a partner is a huge help by placing one person downwind or even crosswind of the caller.

I try to get at least a fencepost or something to setup by.I've tried laying prone in open areas but you simply can't stay comfy long enough to make most sets.

CnB,

I too have a really hard time sitting with the wind at my back. I am growing more fond of a cross-wind situation than any other. I guess I am just wondering where you guys usually sit.

I think my usual spots will be better when there's more snow, but right now the tall grass would make it really hard for me to see them coming when it's dark out. This is why I was opting for the open fields (which have been 160-300 acres).

Just wondering as I don't know myself but is it legal to be hunting at night right now with muzzloader deer season still open? I have held off going out so far because I'd rather be safe then sorry. Not trying to get anyone in trouble; I just don't know.

To answer your question, set up in a crosswind on the edge of cover. This makes the coyotes commit to the open field and you are broken up by the cover. I hate to use always, but plan on them ALWAYS circling down wind.

Good Hunting!

TODDY

all assuming that they are upwind.... is that correct?

so you have to locate them first if you want to hunt cross wind

You need to wear blaze orange during muzzle loader season but... the season isn't open at night. You can certainly hunt though.