Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
catch22

tip up question

5 posts in this topic

tip up for dummies question

what size hook is used with medium sucker minnows?

-thanks

IDK... i would say as long as it punches all the way threw the sucker you should be fine

If you are fishing for Northerns, try using a "Quick Strike Rig. You will get a much better hooking %. They can be purchased at Gander Mtn, among other places.

A # 2 hook is my preference for medium (4-6 inch) sucker minnows. # 4 is too small and you will miss fish. Also you need more split shot above the hook while fishing bigger minnows. I use 3 or 4 # 7 split shot 1 foot above the hook to keep the minnow near the bottom where it can't get away from hungry fish. They try to swim up, but get tired and float back down like an injured baitfish.

I used a quick strike rig with a #8 hook with medium sucker (5 inch), I used 2 3/16 ounce egg sinkers. I wanted #6 hook, but for whatever reason there were only #2 #4 #8 rigs. I whiffed on my first shot, then got a 32 inch pike on the second. The last flag up the bait was gone, not sure how that critter missed the hooks, but he did. All in all not bad for my first time with a tip-up. I'm going to get some #4 quick strike rigs next outing. Thanks for the help.