• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

FL-18, Genz pack or Pro Pack?

snoozebutton

We're pitching in with my daughter to get my son in law the FL-18 and can't decide on the Genz or Pro Pack. What are the advantages/disadvantages of these options? I just noticed that there's the Ultra Pack also, worth the extra money?

The Genz Pack is the cheapest and for $10 more we can get the Pro and another $20 the Ultra. (That makes the Ultra $30 more than the Genz.)

Thanks, Steve

I like the Pro Pack, fits in a 5 gallon bucket for protection, includes a built in rod holder, small tackle box and battery status indicator. OPTIONAL - add flex light, additional rod holder, cup holder, soft case.

Only main differences with the ultrapack is the master shutoff (so unit will not drain battery when not in use for periods of time), and the recharge terminals. Personally prefer the Pro Pack because it is not as bulky as the Ultra.

Thanks Steve, I appreciate the positive feedback.

Vexilar claims their Pro Pack is their most popular choice and I believe it. But a good buddy of mine has the Ultra Pack and it is really a nice set-up. A little more money at the start, but the convenience of the master power switcn and battery termimals will be there for you for years.

I once saw a guy pull the battery connectors off his power cables when recharging his battery on the first night of a 4 or 5 day trip. We were able to monkey-rig his battery connection to keep his flasher working for the whole trip, but that example really hammers home the imporatnce of the battery terminals and master power swich.