Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Joe Suits

Synthetic 2-stroke oil

6 posts in this topic

Does anyone see any advantage to using a synthetic 2-stroke outboard oil over the regular 2-stroke oil?

Thanks!!

I live in Superior, Wis., where Amsoil is king.

I've got a buddy who works at the parts counter at one of the better recreational vehicle stores, selling ATVs, snowmobiles, boat motors, etc. He ice fishes, too. He uses Amsoil in all his 2- and 4-stroke motors.

He swears his 2-strokes last longer and run better. Same with his 4-strokes. Says his truck turns over faster when it's really cold than with regular oil, and that he gets better gas mileage. grin.gif

He's no Amsoil rep, and he should know. He's got me sold, and I'll be using Amsoil in all my motors from now on. It is more expensive, but how much is a worn-out auger or ATV worth? frown.gif

------------------
Steve (stfcatfish@yahoo.com)

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-21-2002).]

I have a Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke high thrust with elec. start. The first year I had it I was very frustrated with how hard it was to start, if it had been a rope start I would have been having fits. It would turn over and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and then finally catch and run taking a good while to warm up enough to put it in gear without dying. After the first season I changed the oil and out Mobile 1 synthetic in it. Now I cannot hit the start button fast enough for it to not start, it is truly an amazing difference. If I had not seen it with my own eyes I would not have believed it.

Muskyhunter:

Thanks for the perspective. We've got an old 35 Johnson on our 16-foot Lund deep V, and it pushes the old girl along pretty slowly. I've been thinking about using split-fire plugs for awhile, and haven't yet made the switch to synthetic in the gas/oil mix.

Now I reckon I'll do both next season, and we'll see how the motor goes. It'll idle down to 2.1 mph going forward with the current natural oil and Champion plugs, according to my gps. And 18 mph is as fast as she'll go (it's got a floor, console, storage, carpet, all that heavy stuff).

Which brand of plugs do you use?

[This message has been edited by stfcatfish (edited 10-22-2002).]

I wouldn't be opposed to using it in 2 cycle engines, or 4 cycle - as long as it's changed at regular intervals.

Until a better technology is discovered extended oil changes are a very bad idea in my opinion, at least in cold weather climates, due to excessive condensation build up. That's from expensive personal experience.

I found that my older 50 hp Merc absolutely ran 100% better on synthetic. The plugs fouled much less, and I ran at 100:1 Amsoil. Could maintain a lower idle. It was worth it for the reliability.

I have ran it in my newer 1991 Force 120. But electronic ignition is so much better than the point and breaker system that it hasn't been an issue. But in both outboards, I ran SplitFire spark plugs, and will run nothing else in them.

In the Merc, the combination of SplitFire plugs and 100:1 Amsoil had a clear advantage, and in the Force, the SplitFire plugs seem to be the most important factor for smoother runniing and more power. I believe it depends on you're motor.