• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Advice on a Bad cut on front pad

MILLER TIME

My dog has a bad cut on his front pad. I called the vet and they told me to put a pressure wrap on it till morning and it should clot up and be fine since they cant really stich that area. My question is how fast will this heal and what other precautions should i be taking. Thanks

Miller, keep it clean and dry for a few days. No hunting for a few days.. When my dogs have something like this I usually box them.. Meaning I keep them in a crate most of time just bring them out to eat, drink and relieve themselves... They heal quicker that way and stay off the pad . Keep an eye on it and make sure it doesn't get infected....It sucks when something like this happens prime time bird season, it's nice to have a back up dog....good luck..uplander

I'd also suggest coating it twice a day with EMT Gel. If it is deeper than a 1/4", some vets will stitch it. My buddies dog stepped on a broadhead and they stitched her right up. In my experience it takes 1-2 weeks for a bad pad cut to heal. More superficial cuts heal up in a few days. When I got real serious about upland hunting I got a second dog just so I wouldn't be sidelined by injuries that seem almost inevitable when hunting a big running dog day after day.

Thanks guys! This is his second year hunting and its a shame that we might have to sit it out a couple of weeks. On the plus side theres still alot of corn in the fields and its only going to get better. Thanks Again.

It is still bleeding through!! Should i be worried? Should this be brought to the vets attention. It seems to be only happening when i let him out to releive himself he gets all wound up and wants to play and runs around limping. I'm kind of wooried about long term affects or is this something that will heal on its own with no side affects? Thanks for the help

Keep the dog crated up other than eating or relieving himself , when he's outside keep him on check cord NO RUNNING, tomorrow get him on a antibiatic for infection for a week or so, keep a wrap on the wound for a few days. When the wrap is off pour a little hydrogen peroxide on it to cleanse the wound. If your going to watch the game let him lay by you, or go for a ride put in the truck with you pet his belly keep him calm he'll be just fine. This has happened to a lot of us over the years.

All of the emergency threads on the first page of this forum remind me of last years' incidents alone... Anaplasmosis, huge gash in the ear, and a VERY bad paw slice....

For the pad slice, my GSP was out 2-3 weeks. Good luck keeping them off of their feet. He liked to lick the wrap off as well. EMT gel 2-3 times a day with a pressure wrap was our method. Vet told us we did it the right way, but it took forever, and the dog made it that way I guess. If it happened today I'd cone the pooch and crate 'em.