• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Breweries to visit- The report

mskyfshntchr

Question

Got home Monday from our brewery tour- 1400 miles and 5 days.

Thanks to all who had advice for me on the tour. We ended up hitting only small micro breweries on this trip.

I’ll give a little rundown of each brewery and the beers I enjoyed the most. Each one had a restaurant, also. The food was good at all of them. I will say that I normally drink Honey Weiss and Michelob Golden Draft Light when I am at home. So, I didn’t like the dark beers as well as some of you may. All of the breweries had a dark beer and a light beer plus others. They all sell their beer via growler or similar. They all also let you sample their beer via free “shot” glasses.

Stop 1: Shipwrecked in Egg Harbor, WI- Door County. Very nice place with aluminum diamond plating on all of the bar’s surfaces-very interesting look. Cherry Wheat was my favorite. The light was also good. This was the only brewpub where I was able to buy beer in a bottle.

Stop 2: Hereford and Hops in Escabana, MI. The wheat and light were good. Just hit this for lunch on the way through.

Stop 3: Tahquamenon Falls Brewpub. Their Falls Tannin (red beer) was good as was the light. This brewpub is in a state park (sticker required). It was a nice sight to see with the fall colors. They claim to be the 2nd biggest falls east of the Mississippi. They also had very good fried pickles- which made the wife happy!

Stop 4: The Vierling in Marquette, Mi. My favorite stop. Two of their beers were fantastic! Their honey wheat is as good as or better than Honey Weiss. But my favorite of the trip was their Blueberry Wheat. A very smooth tasting beer. They add blueberries to your glass after they pour the beer. Gives it a purple color, but it isn’t as sweet as you might think. They said they are known for this beer in the area and I can see why!

Stop 5: Jasper Ridge Brewing Co. in Ishpeming, Mi. Just 15 minutes from Marquette. They had a blueberry wheat that was more tart than the Vierling’s. Their honey wheat was good.

Stop 6: South Shore Brewery in Ashland, WI. Their nut brown was very good. They had a honey pilsner that was pretty good also.

It was a good trip with many different beers tasted. A tip I would have for any of you if you go to a micro brewery is to sit at the bar. You get more interaction with the bartender and can learn things about the place and their beers.

1 answer to this question