• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

walleye numbers.

I read something in an outdoor magazine( not sure I can say the name) the other day and I thought it was very interesting. I think It said that during the year there is about 14 million (I dont have the magazine so Im not 100% sure on this number but I think its right) harvestable walleyes in Minnesota lakes combined. Out of those 14 million, 3-4 million are actually harvested each year. I took this to mean that the walleye population has to be way over that 14 million number. Kind of makes a guy feel like a chump when theres so many fish and I catch so few grin

there were other numbers givin in the same artical like out of all the lakes in MN there are only so many that are considered walleye lakes. I just thought that it was cool to see those numbers.

Anybody else have any interesting numbers on this line of thinking?

I find it interesting looking at the numbers of walleyes netted and size that the DNR posts on their lakefinder site. The lake I fish all the time they did'nt catch any over 15inches and I catch a lot of 17-20 inch fish in that lake. It just shows how netting isnt a exact science. You never know whats lurking down there. One of the locals in our area caught a 19inch crappie off my father-inlaws dock this spring in a lake that you are lucky to catch a 10 inch. I thought they were drinking too much green coolaid until I saw it for myself. I wonder if the dnr only nets at a certain time of the year of if they do it all summer? Does anyone know.