• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Treestand

elks fisherman

There are always a couple of off-brands that show up in stores in the next month that will charge around $40. Most are okay.

A better know "cheap" stand are the ones made by Rivers Edge. I know you can find them at Fleet Farm, Dick's, Sportsman's Warehouse. Sometimes you'll find them at the big stores like Gander and Cabelas. They are a pretty good stand. I used one for 2 years before I ran into problems.

Check the ads every week. It depends on what you're looking for, but there is always something on sale. I definitely would look in the Dick's ad and check out Fleet Farm.

Most will tell you, and I agree, that you get what you pay for in most sporting goods. Make sure you handle and try the item before you buy it.

Things I would want in a treestand are straps, not chains, no sharp edges from cheap expanded mesh, and make sure it moves quietly.

Not sure how much you want to spend but I would look at a ladder stand as well as hangers. I've seen some pretty good sales on them in the 60 dollar range. About the same as a hanger and screw in steps or a climbing stick...

COnsider what you will use it for. Ladder stands are convenient for setting and forgetting, but with only one month left. I hope you've got some private land to hang it on. If its public and you've got to walk more than 100yds you're gonna want a hang on stand with some cheap sticks or screw in steps.

I have a Rivers Edge hang on stand. I paid about $60 for it about 5 years ago. Since then I've seen them for around $50 or even $40 when they are on sale. I use it for bear and deer hunting and don't have any complaints. It has the straps, no chains, doesn't creak or make noise when I stand on it, and the foam seat snaps on and off. It's not the fanciest, lightest thing in the woods...just a good, solid, inexpensive hang-on to get up off the ground.

saw one hang on tree stand at Dick's for only 29.99 dont know name or how good it is but it was really lightweight and small i liked it might have to go back for it sometime this week

craigs--list has lots of cheap stands, i just sold my climber for 35$, i kinda wish i would have asked for more money but oh well. Lots of cheaper stands out there. Beware though safety should be your #1 concern cheap doesnt always mean safe, i have seen my fair share of homemade stands out there and dont trust them