• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Break-in period after rebuild

Dale Rueber

I will be getting my boat back today or tomorrow after a complete power head rebuild (all 6 cylinders boared, new pistons, bearings...). What should I do for breaking the motor in? Do I need to add extra oils in the gas? It's a 1996 Evinrude 150 hp 2 stroke.

I'm not an expert on that motor but usually after a rebuild you break it in just like it is brand new. If it calls for some premixed oil when new (I believe a lot of 2 strokes do) - I would use some now. I would vary my speed quite a bit and would not run wide open unless its for a VERY short burst. Main thing is to not run at the same speed for long periods of time - you want to mix it up as much as possible until the rings seat. Hope this helps and good luck with the new powerhead.

PTocko is right on here - vary your engine RPM, and run double mix oil (1 pint to 6 gallons if it's oil injected) for 10 gallons - run as much of that 10 gallons out as you can before you fill up with straight gas, varying the RPM's for that 10 gallons.

Good Luck!

marine_man