Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NCLaker

Reel Magic?

5 posts in this topic

Anyone have a much experience with this stuff??

I tried it for the first time on a on some flouro coated copoly that was giving me trouble on a baitcaster. Seemed to help alot with making it more castable - not as stiff and came off the spool much smoother.

Before I start using it on a more consistant basis, I just had a few concerns I was hoping some of you can provide some feedback on:

1) Does it do bad things if you get it on your cork handles?

2) Does it negativiely effect the life or strength of your fishing line?

3) Will it do bad things to the manufacture's oil & grease internal to the reel (my biggest concern)?

4) Is it only useful on flouro/copoly/mono lines, or is it also helpful on superlines (braid/fused)?

I think KVD came out with his own line, not sure if it is better or not.

1) I would try not to get it on the cork.. it can make it slippery.

2)No, not that I have found.

3)Not that I have found.

4)I have not tried it on braids yet...

I have used the stuff quite a bit. It does make the line easier to cast for sure. I have yet to come up with a reason to not use it, other than the fact I forget to use it often. I actualy think the KVD stuff is the same stuff with different packaging.

Thanks Dietz ... with all the money put into my rods/reels - I didn't want to risk messing them up. The reels with flouro will get hit with this stuff the most. Gama copoly and braid lines seem to do pretty well on their own.

Anyone new to using flouro or flouro coated line that is having issues with it, I would recommend trying some of this stuff before giving up on it. The difference was significant for me. You do need to reapply periodically cause its effectiveness seems to deminish after a while. I used the arosol version.

I use it all the time on baitcasters and open face. I do re-apply 2-3 times in a 5-6 hour period. It helps with the casting distance and seems to let the reel work smoother.

I have been using it for more than 7 years and not had any undesirable results.

Good to hear iceseeker

Anyone with experience using it for ice fishing? Does it help with reducing icing up of your lines. I use fireline on one of my reels for ice fishing that I can't use outside if it too cold because it ices up so bad. Curious if this helps with this problem - especially with fireline or braided.