• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to get dog to understand birds on the wing

JHays1

I have been working with my pup on gunfire retrieving birds all the essential but how do I get my dog to transition into understanding and focusing on ducks circiling the decoys so I can be sure she knew what we were cracking at or does that just come with time?

JHays1-It'll probably be a natural progression if your pup is a fetcher. You can keep some wings off an old bird and zip tie it to your dummy for fetching. You may want to layout some decoys in a field and practice throwing the dummy while firing blanks so the dog gets use to all the obstacles and distractions.

Then buy or trap some live pigeons for field training(dead ones will work)or better yet find a farmer who will let you shoot pigeons on thier farm-send someone into the silo or barn w/ a handful of rocks and have the gunners and dogs watching the exits. Shooting barnducks can be a fun time and good practice for everyone.

redhooks