• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

johnson idle?

Question

I've got an '80 Johnson 70hp that runs fine, but won't idle. it will idle for about 30 seconds then slowly die out. mechanic checked the carbs and replaced some seals, but problem still there. anybody got any idea's?

3 answers to this question

Check your fuel line for leaks...just one small pinhole in it will do this. Or, your connections might be loose- either on the fuel tank or on the motor.

Could be a whole list of things along with air leak. "Mechanic checked the carbs and replaced some seals" Why did he let it go if it didnt idle right? Did he clean the carbs and how did you adjust the high and low speed? Does it stay idleing when out of gear? It is loading up when it quits or starving for gas? Does it pop or die slow? I know its alot of ?'s but it will help figure it out.

motor was bought used, and I think they did'nt want to put too much into it, but they are willing to fix the problem. when shifted to neutural, it will idle for about a minute or less,and slowly die down. all the fuel lines are from the old motor, and I did'nt have that problem, so I'm guessing it's in the motor.