Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Eric Wettschreck

The new deer regs

4 posts in this topic

Yes, I'm late but I just read through the new deer regs on the DNR's web site.

I like it. Much simpler and easy to understand. I really appreciate the fact they made changes based on a lot of public input.

boilerguy, What effect do you think this will have on us hunters this year? I think it's gonna make things pretty interesting especially in shotgun zones where some guys hunted first or second weekend and now everybody is gonna be trying to get on land they normally hunted in prior years and there gonna get the big NOPE!!! We already have someone that asked or just plain NO. I think in the shotgun areas it is going to cause a lot fiascoes between hunting parties and at the same time they will probably see more deer on the move, because of the hunting pressure straight thru the season. Good Luck this fall and hunt safe!

Yes, it will change things a bit, especially in the previous "4" zones. However, I feel the change is for the better. In the past, we had 2 days to shoot a deer. Now we have 9. Hopefully this will reduce the if it's brown it's down effect. With any luck hunters will pass on a smaller deer that they would have taken. Maybe it will, maybe it won't. I do have to appreciate the fact that the DNR is at least trying to change things for the better, and using public input.

There are still 2 weekends involved in the new season. The group I hunt with still plan on being out there opening morning. When we have our deer tagged, we're done. Others that don't have a deer within the first weekend still have another weekend to hunt.

This also gives the youngsters a better opportunity to shoot a deer as they have a longer season.

Accessing land will be interesting for some groups, I agree.

Like you said, good luck and hunt safe.

I agree in that there might be the "mad dash for cash" that first weekend. Much of the land we hunted over the 2nd weekend was hunted by others the first weekend. Also, I think it will consolidate hunters much more. With the split zone 4, it spread the hunting population out into 2 weekends. Now everyone will be out the first day/weekend.

In those respects, getting permission on lands we hunt will likely be more challenging. However, I like the simpler, longer season.