• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big fish at midday theory

Cooter

I keep hearing about big fish historically being caught midday. Is there proof or just a rumor? Or is it just on certain waters such as LOTW, which from what I've heard can be good at midday?

I sure don't know because I have trouble catching muskies, let alone big ones, on any body of water at any time of day or year cry

not sure about being mid day, but I have had great success in the middle of the day depending on moon activity. If moon rise or set is around that time, I have had my best luck at that time.

I think it has more to do with moon activity than time of day, but it is definitely a pattern.

I've caught a few nice fish in the middle of the day. Mainly in the mid 40 inches and always trolling. My PB is a 52, but I caught her about an hour before dark. She, however, is the only 50+ fish I have ever caught. Hardly a pattern, or even enough to form an opinion.

Both my fishing partners 50's came midday. We have caught alot of fish between 10am and 3 pm. In fact for me untill last Thursday I had never caught a fish anywhere near dusk now I have 2 48's at or shortly after sunset. All but those 2 have came mid morning to mid afternoon.

I think that's very relatvie to the time of year. In the fall i've definitely found midday to be great. In the summer I almost never fish midday because of traffic/pressure/sun etc. But cloudy and rainy days are my favorite, we need more of those!!!

Believe it or not, one of my favorite times to throw topwaters. Have always done pretty good at times, especially when the conditions are right, as mentioned above. You always have to pay attention to the moon phase, even when it isn't coninciding with sunrise/sunset.

Spring and fall can be wonderful during the peak heating of the afternoon. In the heat of summer (now), I nap during the afternoon and fish early and late since I figure the muskies are doing the same thing. The exception is frontal weather, clouds and wind, or moon up/down. I have never concluded a tiny drop in air pressure from the reduction of air density with warming during the peak heating of the day triggers fish. This is usually well after solar noon since the sun does not heat the air directly, but rather the ground. (thus it is warmer at 3-4pm than noon) The reverse occurs in the evening but these are usually only noticeable in an otherwise stable pressure regime. My thoughts only. Your mileage may vary.