• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

threw hull transducers

marksullivan

Question

two questions for the experts. Will my transducer off a lms350a work on a lcx15mt. It came with a threw hull trancducer. Never have had one. Do they read at full speed going across the lake ect. Is there any magic to mounting them. is there adjuctments as far as angle to put in boat. I have a 2090 fiberglass warrior. what if the boats bottom is angled. I'm lost amy help would be cool. thanks

1 answer to this question

I don't think the transducer for the 350a will work with the x15, although I'm not positive. Check the plugs on the back of the units to see if they're the same but I think one has gray connectors and the other has black??? If so, they're not compatable.

When you say a through hull transducer, I assume you mean a shoot-through-hull one that you mount in the bottom of the bilge? They work great, no interference or cavitation so they excel at high speed. They may lose a little sensitivity and definition by having to shoot through the hull though.

To mount them, sand down a small area in the bilge to get to the clear fiberglass, and wipe it down with acetone or something like that. Apply your epoxy to the bilge (make a big puddle) then set your transducer in - don't rock the transducer back and forth as this will cause air bubbles and give you problems - set one edge in at a slight angle then slowly press down the other side of the transducer until it's in the epoxy and level. You have to eyeball / guess at the correct angle.

The epoxy route is a permanent solution, ie. the transducer is there forever. Antoher route that I've never tried but have heard good things about is mounting the transducer in silicone. You probably won't get as good of readings in silicone, and the silicone might pop loose after a while, but the advantage is you can remove the transducer from the silicone so it's a great way to test it out and see how it works.

Hope this helps, good luck.