Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machohorn

Who knows cars

5 posts in this topic

Henry Ford said you can order a ModelT in any color as long as it's black, When did the American auto industry start offering cars in color? I remember my dad showing me pics and every one was black , those were from the 40's early 50's.

I would say late 20's! I will do some checking though.

If we are talk'in Ford, here ya go!

Quote:
Colors

Henry Ford is commonly reputed to have made the statement "Any customer can have a car painted any color that he wants so long as it is black." Actually, Model Ts in different colors were produced from 1908 to 1914, and then again from 1926 to 1927. It is often stated that Ford chose black because the paint dried faster than other colored paints available at the time, and a faster drying paint would allow him to build cars faster since he would not have to wait for the paint to dry.

Over 30 different types of black paint were used to paint various parts of the Model T. The different types of paint were formulated to satisfy the different means of applying the paint to the different parts, and they had different drying times, depending on the paint and the drying method used for a particular part. Ford engineering documents suggest that the color black was chosen because it was cheap and it was durable

This a 1927 Model "T" in factory paint color.

Late_model_Ford_Model_T.jpg

I worked in a knitting mill for a while and we would say you could have as many of that hat as long as it was in black.

For us it was having to stock different colors and black was the color least likely to show flaws. So if we could produce stuff in only one color, keeping supplies in stock would have been much easier. I am sure it would have been for them too. Never having to change out colors in the spray booth would have made production much easier too.

Wow! you guys are good. I sure wish I could have a few of the cars/trucks my dad totaled!. lol