• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

rod/reel/lures suggestions....

I'm not sure where to post this so will just post this in few places and see what answers I get.

I'm looking to buy rod/reel/lures for myself and my two young boys. They are age 7 and 4. Which brand do u suggest. I'm a ROOOOKIE! AND thats an understatement. grin I did get advice from a fellow fm'er last summer but thanks to my feeble brain, I couldnt remember which brand it was that he suggested! smirk

It depends on what type of fishing you are going to do. If I was going to suggest one rod that won't break the bank would be a Cabela's Fish Eagle II rod/spinning reel combo. You can also find something at Gander Mountain that is similar. You want about a 6'2" - 6'6" rod that is medium stiffness and a fast tip.

Lures/bait: Here are some things you can catch a multitude of fish and they are relatively easy to fish with.

-Slip bobber with a leech/worm/minnow

-spinner bait

-rattle trap

-Rapala (X-rap, original shad, or taildancer)

-Jig and 3-4" grub tail

-Floating frogs can be fun off the shore for some topwater action.

-You might want to look into some weedless options as well if you will be fishing from shore.

My suggestion is take this list into Cabela's or Gander Mountain and ask someone to help you out. You don't need to spend more than $79 on the rod and reel combo if you don't want to. You can probably find something for less, but $79 is a reasonable amount, Especially for starting out. I would get a variety of lure colors (White, Chartruesse, silver/black, pink). I would also just start out with a 8-10lbs monofilament line like Berkley Trilene XT or XL. Learn how to tie some knots so you don't loose all your lures and you should have some fun.

I don't have any experience with Limit Creek, so I'll defer to TO. But I can vouch for the Cabela's Fish Eagle Rods. A good all around spinning rod which will handle a TON of multi-species duties are the 604 and 664 blanks - they are 6 foot and 6.6 foot respectively. Those blanks have been around for well over 20 years - I have several - and they work well for a variety of species/applications. After while, you can get pickier, but for now - this would be great.

For the boys, don't pass up those slick little closed faced underspins made by Daiwa or Zebco. if you sort through them a bit, you can find them with decent drags - and best of all - they DON'T break the bank. They are easy to use and will handle many application for their little hands.

Again - this is just my opinion - but I don't spend huge money on rods/reels either, like a lot of guys. That's just my choice, though...

Give Limit Creek rods a good, hard look at www.limitcreek.com and then add on a Shimano Sedona 2500FB with some 10/4 Fireline Crystal and 6# Vanish for a leader or snell, when necessary and you're ready.

This is what I started running this year and it's awesome. I pretty much just use vanish for the whole thing. If you don't want to stick a hundy into a rod and real to get started, take a look at the Ugly Stick combos. They are cheap and hold up quite well. Used them up until last year when I started getting into St. Croix Rods and now switching over to limit creeks. For the kids, I would get a decent closed reel combo. I got a decent one for my wife and wally world for $20 and it's been working well for a few years now.

A good rod for yourself would be one of the shimano clarus or compre series rods, lifetime warranty and under 100 bucks you cant go worng, still use these rods even with loomis's and st. croix's in the boat, take a look at them

I've always said it...and will stick by it (as my dad taught me)...if your pan fishing don't use anything but an ultralight rod and reel combo....it's the only way to make a good fight out of a little fish....plus they add the benefit for your kids of being smaller rods and reel combos!!!

I've always said it...and will stick by it (as my dad taught me)...if your pan fishing don't use anything but an ultralight rod and reel combo....it's the only way to make a good fight out of a little fish....plus they add the benefit for your kids of being smaller rods and reel combos!!!

I agree, if you are just fishing pannies go light rod. I bought a micro light rod at fleet farm for pannies for $10 and put a $12 reel on it. It is just a ton of fun to play with the smaller fish and when a bigger fish hits it, look out. It's a blast for sure.

Hey Team Otter how do the limited creek rods compair to the ST Criox rods? Just wondering looked at the HSOforum and they are priced pretty good I am thinking I might have to order a rod or two to try out.

Well I'm no Team Otter, but I like the Limit Creek Rods over my St. Croix's. St Croix, if you spend the money have a lifetime waranty. But I think you get a great rod for less money for Limit Creek and they are great. I can tell you Walli1 got rid of his St. Croix's and is now only using Limit Creek Rods.

get a barbie or a spongebob rod. i think more fish have been caught on those than all the fancy cabela or daiwa rods and reels combined

Ohhhhh I'm sorry but I'm not going to buy a barbie rod for my boys! LOL Spongebob rods will do or spiderman ones. heh cool

Altho, my oldest one who is sitting next to me reading the forums as well, told me that I should get the barbie one for myself *rolling my eyes*