• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bass Spawning

rattleL

Hey just a quick question, at wat temperature do the bass spawn, last year on openor when i caught smallmouth bass they had really dark bellies and their fins and stomachs were all raw. THis was on walleye openor by the way accidental rockpile lighted bobber catches. All fish were immediatly released however. This year cuaght smallmouth again on same rockpile fishing walleyeys. The fish were normal colored with no tattered fins or sores on the bottom from being on the nests. Just curious does this mean that they are just gettting ready to spawn. Thanks guys, i love to fish bass, but guess i have not put that much research into it.

Rattle- There are a lot of variables and soem scientists argue that it has am much to do with moon phase and many even photoperoid. Also Largemouth and smallmouth spawn at different times...

That said, males will begin to build nests at around 54-57 degrees... Females will lay eggs when the water is stabilized above 60..

Eggs usually hatch in 3-4 days from the time they are layed.. but cna be longer if temps stay cooler.