• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Vex prob--bow mount

Question

I have a Vexilar SL 8 for a bow mount locator. The ducer is mounted under the prop housing of a 50 lb thrust MotorGuide. I have power to the unit, as it turns off and on, but I get no bottom reading. I see no problem between the unit and the transducer, but that's where the problem must be. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

7 answers to this question

Is the transducer cable hooked to the unit? Yes it sounds simple but mine always seems to come off in rough water. You have to start somewhere, right!

Does the transducer work when hooked to a different unit?

They are such simple units. Are you getting any kind of signal besides the surface signal? ScottS

Have not hooked to another unit, but yes, I have checked the other points. I get no reading (flash) other than surface.

As Yul would say in King and I, "is a puzzelment!"

Clay/ You may have drifted over the 3,000 foot hole on Clearwater. Hehe. Remove the ducer from the trolling motor. Power the unit up and crank up the gain.Place the bottom on the ducer in your ear. You should hear the ducer clicking. The unit will shoot a signal off your ear and back to the ducer. If you don't hear anything, or the ducer is more than three years old, replace it. Iam sure you have already checked to make sure the battery is charged.

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/
click here

[This message has been edited by D-man (edited 08-06-2002).]

Rotate the ducer 3 feet above a solid level surface. When the ducer is level, you should get a triple reading on your yellow X-1 scale (0-30 ft.)

If the ducer "clicks", and you do not get the triple reading, then your coax has a fault in it someplace.

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 08-06-2002).]

Thanks for the help (altho I always get a bit suspicious when someone tells me to stick it in my ear), I'll try again to find the problem using your advice. And, if that fails, then it's off to the local dealter.

D-man -- The water level as of today is the highest I've ever seen, even in spring flood conditions. Pleasant Lake, too, has people sandbagging. Our 160 square mile watershed is so soil saturated we can't afford any more rain.

Clayton,
Your connectors could be a little dirty. Buy some electronic contact cleaner and spray the connectors down really well. If that doesn't work then my next guess would be to pick up a new transducer. Later!

Jimmy

Just a thought/Guess?

If you have it mounted on the side of the trolling motor and if the cone angle of the beam is making contact with the motor itself it may be canceling out the true botom reading? Make sure the trancducer is set far enough below the motor housing to get a clean shot to the bottom.

Other then that I am suspicious of the pins in the cable coupler to the Vexilar unit itself, they may be dirty or in need of a dab of dialectric grease.

------------------
Backwater Eddy..><,sUMo,>

Backwater Guiding
"Ed on the RED"
(701)-281-2300

[email protected]

http://home.talkcity.com/ResortRd/backwtr1/index.html