• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

speed

skinnylee

Question

4 answers to this question

I used to have a 40 evinrude on a 16' Rebel and could get 33mph with only myself in it. 27mph loaded down. Try to changing props to fine tune you speed. Also try raising you motor up a notch on the transome bolts, But remember the higher you go the less stable the boat will steer.

------------------
<;(((><

I would estimate that you would get 25-30 mph under the best conditions. I had a 50 merc on an older 16' aluminicraft, and that is about what it got. Speed is determined by several factors. You didn't say how you're motor tilts and trims. If it's manual, you should experiment to find the best tilt position. The pitch of you're prop will also have bearing. The rule of thumb I've been told is to have you're motor wind up at 5500 rpm at full throttle max speed. A higher pitch prop may get you higher speed but lousy hole shot. A low pitch prop will get you out of the faster hole but a lower top speed. Water conditions also affect boat speed. I seem to get the best speed when there is a slight ripple to the water.