• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc 150

Question

I am asking question for a relative maybe you guys can help?
He's looking at a Merc 150 XR6 on a Sportfish 1850. What type of fuel economy can be expected, (vs EFI and Optimax). Also what about a cold weather operating comparison. Thanks

------------------
<;(((><

2 answers to this question

My brother had a Merc 150 2 stroke on a 1850 Lund Tyee. It was a gas sucker, but that is the case for most motors that size. He had a habit of only using one speed, wide open no matter what the conditions. We used it often on Lake of the Woods in October, and it always started, even on days in the 30's. The rig was new when he purchased it in around 1995.

Were I go on my yearly fishing trip the guide has a 150 merc. optimax he has had it for 2 years an finally broke it in, his gas mileage almost got cut in half he now uses 1/3 less than he used to. Ive also heard from the dealer it takes about 250 to 300 hours to brake it in. And also it helps not to run full throttle all the time.

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 07-31-2002).]