• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jig Maker

AaronM

Question

12 answers to this question

I've made many jigs. I prefer to buy the lead already cast but if you want you can cast you're own. Be sure to cast lead with good ventilation, preferably blowing any fumes away from you. A hand held elecric lead pot works just fine.

I normally use powder paint. Always put down a white base coat followed by the color(s) you want. You can ad whisps of color just like spray paint by blowing a through a small straw on a small amount of power paint held in the crease of a piece of paper to give you're jig, for example, a fire tiger look. To keep paint out of the eye, use two hemostats, Heat the jig with a small flame while holding the hook with the one stat, before dipping grab it by the eye with the other 'stat and let go with the other one. Powder paint is non toxic, coats at about 325 degrees +/- depending on the type of powder paint you have, and is cured as soon as the jig cools below the melting point. It's kind of fun if you want to putts around with different colors.

Spray paint also works well if you want. You can stick many jigs on a strip of styrofoam and easily coat 20 in one set up. It'll take several coats to get the result you want and is easy to get a two color jig. Drying time is an issue but the results are exceptional. You can get a small air bursh at a hobby store. You also need a source of compressed air.

The other method is dipping. Many commercially available jigs are dipped. Again, they stick many on a styrofoam strip and dip into the desired paint. Dipping coats faster but plugs the eye of the hook and you can't use all of the paint. For small quantities use method one or two.

Alternate metals, such as sintered iron, and antimony(?) based alloys, might have a future because they are non toxic, but to my knowledge these are currently out of the realm of something you could cast for a hobby.

First try Stamina quality tackle.
For jig molds and melting pots,and hooks ect. Try DO-IT jig mold company.
Another tackle company in JANNS NETCRAFT.

Good luck.

[This message has been edited by Rick (edited 06-25-2002).]

Gander Mountain has powder paint and it is formulated for fishing colors. You might try Cabellas. If Gander doesn't have a melting pot, try a shooters supply store. I've had mine for many years, I think it's a Lyman.

I've made jigs for many yrs. I use to paint and put hair or feathers on them. Now I think it was a waist of time doing all that. Jigs are nothing more than a delivery system.I take them right out of the mold and put them in my tackle box.

I have made my own jigs for years and will recommend that you use the powder paint tough and easy to use. Decorate them if you want and have time or use plain, to me it is more satisifing to fool a fish with something that I made, who knows you may come up with a killer lure.

For painting power coats I have found that a survival candle works well as they usually don't soot to much fussier with white colors and real light colors take a hemostat and clamp it on the hook bend warm it up for a secound or two while turning it over to warm evenly dip it in the color tap off excess powder then put back over the candle till the color "melts" and forms the shiny smooth color you want done hang up with hook till cool

I'm just wondering exactly what kind of powder paint you got. Like "epoxy", there are a number of different powder paints each with different properties. The stuff I use comes from Pro Tec in Wausau, Wis. 715-845-3009.

The instructions state "heat parts using a propane torch, gas burner, or cigarette lighter for 4-10 seconds and remove, knocking off excess powder. Metal should be hot enough to melt powder within 2-4 seconds. For maximum durability, cure in an oven at 350 deg. for 15 minutes".

If the stuff you have won't melt under these conditions, then I think you've got something unsuitable for coating lead as you'll be melting you're jig before the powder converts. (Lead melts at 750 deg). If you do the oven cure thing, make sure the eye of the jig is clear before curing, it will get very hard and durable. As for a base coat, white powder paint works well. Reheat and coat with the final color over white.

Powder paint is a very inert substance. I believe most of it has an indefinate shelf life. If, after these instructions you are still having problems, call Pro Tec and get some of their product. (Try Gander Mountain, I know they have it in Duluth and probably most of their stores).

Musky Hunter - or anybody in the know - can you give me a play by play on how to use powder paint on jigs? I just acquired about a lb. ea. of 6 different colors at an estate sale. I was given bits and pieces of instructions - like try using a heat gun (which I don't have) to heat them with.
I have a notion I'll be passing along most of this to my great great grandkids - and I don't even have grandkids yet. I didn't get white - could've had a couple lbs. of that too if I'd have known it was needed. In fact there was about 40 containers at a lb. each in 25-30 different colors.

I've been experimenting while my wife is out shopping (sssshhhh) - using the oven. I tried 300 degrees to heat the jigs up, and it didn't really coat enough to make a solid color using a glow cream color. That's probably due to...no base coat?? I tried heating them again after the first coat and dipping them again, and they didn't take any more paint the second time.

Is there anything like a primer coat available or needed?

So what's the easiest/best thing to heat jigs with - will the oven work if it's 325-350. At what point does lead melt? I was also told if you put them back in at 250 for a few minutes you can bake the paint so it's more durable and chip resistant. If that's so, do you let them cool to room temp and then proceed with that step?

Is there a shelf life to this stuff, or any storage hints? Can you use it on spoons?

This is obviously way new to me so good advice is greatly appreciated!!

After finding some manufacturer's instructions online and reading the responses here, I decided to give it a try again.

I used a propane torch with minimum heat and that seemed to work much better. The biggest problem with the oven was that the jigs tend to cool off too quick so you can really only do 1 at a time anyhow. Also, I found that the blue and gold colors coated much better and easier than the glow cream.

The stuff I have came from a manufacturer in Chicago, but was bought in bulk bags and transferred to tupperware-like containers, so there's no identification.

Thanks again for your help!

I've made jigs too for a long, I paint all of mine with vinyl, I've tried powder, I thought it chipped to easily, But I did'nt cure it like suggested, may give it another try, I found the the best way with vinyl is to thin the "dump" out of it, better to do
4-5 coats than a couple of real heavy ones I've also bought ice fishing jigs from the Stamina Co. they sell an 25 assortment pak and was more happy with what I got (learn about them from this Forum) anyways I sometimes buy some jigs, but I also enjoy making and tying my own, its a hobby I enjoy, I'm hooked...