• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

flip-down fish shelters

Razor,
I bought my otter sled and cabin at Thorne Bros. last year, i believe they have and online catalog as well, great store! I pull my portable with human power and to me the otter is better constructed, heavy duty sled, aluminum tubing, and heavy canvas, and hardware, plenty of room for two to jig. i use a folding "camp style" chair that simply folds up into a tube shaped storage bag, all of my gear fits inside the sled with room to spare. and with a total weight of 65 pounds, it loads into the back of my truck real easy. i also got the snow cover - really handy for keeping your gear dry on the way to your spot.

I just set up my new "Polar Sport" 2 man house tonight in my garage. It's a really nice unit made locally in Buffalo, MN. Looks like it will be a very warm house, nicely sealed, and it also has a taller sled than most, with a more aggressive front, which makes it easier for towing behind ATV/Snowmobile, or pulling by hand. I can't wait to try it. I ordered mine through Vados Bait shop in Spring Lake Park. They are a great bait shop, and have a very nice staff, who can help you with anything you need. The other day I was in there, standing right next to Dave Genz. He's a really nice, down to earth guy. Well Good Luck, and pray for cold.

Rusty

P.S.- NO, the house does not come with floats smile.gif

I sat in the new Fishtrap Pro at Gander Mountain last night, and man,I was disappointed in that fishhouse. I bought a Fishtrap 3 two years ago, and still have my Fishtrap 1, the model with the high back sled, and thicker canvas.My 'Trap 1 is falling apart, after 6 years of heavy usage, and I like the 'Trap 3, but I am not impressed with the new Voyager. That new 'Trap Pro, the sled is so imbalanced that when my big carcass sat on the seat, the house nearly flipped over.The Ice Armor fabric seems kinda thin,as well. Oh,well,the next portable will be an Otter Sled set up. Until them, the Fishtrap 3 will do.

Marmooskman,

I was thinking that about the new fish traps until I talked to Dave Genz himself. He showed us that there is a post underneath the seat, that you can move to a forward angle, and it makes it very sturdy. Also, the fabric though thin, is very strong. He let me try tearing a whole in a sample piece. It was impossible, even though there was already a hole started, I could not tear it at all. Well, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the portable pull over houses now days, as I think they are all put together pretty well, and each one offers you a little something different. Good Luck.

Rusty

I was looking for a new portable this year. I have used the fish trap for many years and use them as intended.......I move alot. I bought a Polar house two years ago fromm Woods and Waters...total absolute disappointment. I couldn't bring it back. I had to bring it to the manufacturer and they didn't back it. I used it once and got rid of it. BAck to the fish trap.
I was in Menards and saw the fish trap Pro for $269. WOW what a price. I didn't buy it as I didn't see the new "U" shaped door and the double sliding seat. It is advertised as being such but it wasn't like the ad said. it was tippy when you sat in it as the seat was on the edge of the sled.
I went to Thorne brothers and they had the pro. The double sliding seat front forward and side ways and the seat comes off. The seat slides back nice and centers in the sled and no tipping.sturdy. nice house...and under seat rod storage too....... roomy, "U" door and a nice house for the same price as Menards. What can I say.

Crappie Todd:

What kind of problems did you have with the Polar house. I haven't used it yet, but it seemed pretty nice to me. What should I be on the look out for?? Now I'm worried. Good Luck!!!

Rusty

Rusty....
I was worried about my pro, So I went in the garage and sat there looking for fault...... The sliding seat with tubular bars slides back and forth nicley. I waxed them as suggested. The seat slides way back by using your feet. it centers nicely no tippping and you could use 30inch rod in there. I am picky about my houses. I fish the dickens out of em. I need somthing that is ready to go now..... get too big and fancy and the attitude that it takes to long to un do somthing keeps you off the fish...don't want to move attitude....
THis is a new PRO model for this year.
The Polar house... it didn't want to stay down in the wind. it flipped up no matter what direction. it was a flaw. The Next thing was the canvas was sewn short. the velcro sewn to the canvas tore off. this was using the house twice. I brought it back to the manufacturer and they said I should be more carefull.......... Uh huh. sure, more carefull. they sewd the canvas back together and the first time I set it up when I got it home......RiPPPPPPPPpp.

Crappie Todd,

Thanks for the heads up with my Polar, I will keep an eye out for problems. I am going to design some way to anchor the sled to the ice for those windy days. Hopefully I will have some better luck with mine, otherwise, I'll be a unhappy camper.

Good Luck,
Rusty

i have had a trap guide for a year now and love it, i did actually burn a hole in the fabric with my heater right when i got it, any fabric would have had a hole burned in it for how long my heater was cooking it, but what impressed me is that it hasn't spread at all, not a centimeter... very good fabric, easy to haul, nice seats... my friend fished with me in it twice and bought one saturday... he loves it too.