• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 stroke vs. 4 stroke

Question

OK guys.... need some help. My father and I are getting a boat this year. We've settled on 2 models: Lund 1675 Pro Sport & Smokercraft 172 Stealth. This boat will mainly be used for fishing, with occasional recreational use. Motor options are as follows:
90 HP Johnson 2-stroke
70 HP Evinrude 4-stroke
90 HP Mercury 4-stroke

I'm just looking for some info on A) what is the better manufacturer
B) some detailed info between pros & cons of the 2/4 strokes
C) what the hell, any info on the above said boat models.

Thanks for any info guys... It's greatly appreciated!

11 answers to this question

I have a 115 Johnson and it's a great motor. It's also smokey and goes through the oil. I go through about 1 gallon of oil to every 50 or so gallons of gas. I typically go through at least 3 gallons of oil a year. My 115 is pretty much the exact same motor as the 90. The 115 also burns little fuel for it's size, but I don't run wide open throttle very much either.

In today's day and age, go with a 4-stroke. Yamaha and Honda would be my choice for a 4-stroke. If you can get a DFI 2-stroke(direct fuel injection) like the Yammy HPDI or FICHT or OPTI, those are very nice too. Lower emissions, little to no smoke, quiet, and burns little oil.

Nothing trolls down like a 4-stroke. Nothing is quieter than a 4-stroke.
Nothing is cleaner than a 4-stroke.
Nothing burns less fuel than a 4-stroke.
In 2 years you will never regret paying the extra $ for a 4-stroke. I also think most people never regret buying the bigger HP motor. I bought my first boat last year (w/ Suzuki FI 4-stroke) and could not believe the difference from a 2-stroke model. Love it. Walleye.com has a good boat/equipment forum where I learned a lot about boats and motors last year. Sorry, can't speak about differences from Merc to Johnson too well. I do think this year's Johnsons are made by Yammi. I also remember hearing about Merc 4-strokes not being near the quality of Yammi, Suzuki, and Johnson (plastic hoses and parts, FI problems, other "bugs"). Honda's are good, but heavy. Just my memory, however. Good luck.

For what its worth I have a Lund Explorer 1675 W/80 Yamaha 4 Stroke and am very happy with the performance. I can get it troll down to 1.9 GPS and about 1.6 back trolling. very smooth and quite motor. I will never go with a 2 stroke again. Good luck with your purchase

Two strokes troll down much better than the 4's. They are geared much lower. As far as brands. sounds like your dealer doesnt deal in Yamamha or Honda. If the Johnson you can get is the new Bombardier, then i would go with that motor. The Smokercraft isnt half the boat the Lund is. With the new IPS hull you be very happy with the ride. Good Luck

------------------
MILLE LACS AREA GUIDE SERVICE
651-271-5459 http://fishingminnesota.com/millelacsguide/

Just so you know, Yamaha and Merc share alot of four stroke technology. (same powerheads, but there own lowerunits)
Any of the brands you mentioned, will give you years of trouble free service. It's hard to beat a four stroke for smoothness, and youll get over not having that cloud of smoke around you in no time.

I agree that the Lund is the better boat. I will never buy anything else. As far as the motor goes, I have a 40 horse Merc 2 stroke. I like the fact that it is quicker than the 4 strokes at the top end, but it doesn't troll down nearly as much as I would like and it is a gas pig. There certainly are trade-offs, I think it's just a matter of what you are going to use the boat for.

D-man when did merc start using there own parts on there 4 strokes I have a 1999 50
merc what should i look for?
as for the 2 stroke 4 stroke delima I had
a merc 2 stroke 50 for many years,worked
great it would troll down to .8 to 1 mph gps
as for my 4 stroke 50 merc it will troll
down only to 1.6 to 1.8 mph but I dont need
ear plugs and it uses 1/2 the gas the 2 stroke did and the 4 stroke is 4 mph faster on top end at 34mph

This all depends on the circumstances.

4-strokes will cost more, less top end speed, weigh more, won't troll down as slow and less balls a.k.a no hole shot at all.
BUT,
They will also be quieter, cleaner, and less fuel consuming.
I guess if I were to buy a new 4 stroke I would go with either Honda or Mercury although I have fished Merc all my life I have heard too many good things about hondas. They are leading the 4 stroke industry in HP and technology. I would not purchase Johnson & Evinrude right now because I believe it was little over a year ago they (OMC) went through a bankruptcy leading me to be suspcious of quality and up to datedness. But mostly up to datedness.
If I were to purchase a 2 stroke I would definetly choose merc. They have always treated me well and takin everyone beating I could give them.
Well...
That was my 2 cents
Good luck and remember to make the dealer work for a sale!

-Mr. Fisherman

Thanks for all the info guys. Looks like we have settled on a good boat with a 90 horse Mecury 4-stroke (both 2002)!
And we did make the dealer work!