• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

SMALL Alum. Repair - - Welding vs Epoxy Blend Options

moby1

Question

I have a Lund S14 console I am working on for a project. It had sat in a shed since 97 and I just tackled the first obstacle, getting the motor running. With that out of the way I can get to the interior. At the very front bottom of the boat (about 4" out from the center line) is a small hole. It is about the same size as a rivet but is not from a rivet. It appears that someone dropped something sharp and heavy in the boat while it was in the storage shed. My question(s) are-
1) has anyone used any alumaloy type product?
2) what kind of $$ would welding cost?
3) has anyone had any experiences (+ or-) with JB Weld type 2 component reinforced epoxy type products.
I purchased one of the above type (different brand I cant think of now) 2 components but can't decide if I should use it or not. The interior (and MABEY the exterior) of the boat will be sprayed with polyurea (containment tank liner like tuck bedliner) so leaking should not be an issue but I want to repair it as if it was going to stand alone without the coating.

4 answers to this question

If you lived closer to me, I'd weld it for next to nothing being a fellow FM'er. TIG welding would be the way to go (my opinion-not having ever used an epoxy). If you decided to get it welded, to save a few bucks...clean it up yourself. Use sandpaper and a stainless steel wire brush to clean up the area around the hole. That way when a guy welds it he won't have to do that part, and should only take a couple of minutes to weld it shut for you. I've welded holes, gashes and seams on boats and pontoons...the cleaner the better! The weld will take better, as well as being stronger!

Not sure about down in the cities, but up here the rates probably average around $35.00-$50.00/hr or more. Personally, something quick like that I've done for next to nothing. ie (a retired couple brought in their pontoon to have a part welded back on, took 5 min. to clean, 5 to weld-job done-didn't charge a dime) But that is just me.