• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Clam 5600

Question

I just purchased a new Clam 5600 off the web ($279.00 thought I got pretty good price)and now that it is en route I am worried maybe I purchaed the wrong shack. I see it weighs 75 pounds and with my other gear I am wondering if it will be to heavy to pull. I have no ATV or snowmobile. I walk onto a lot of lakes that require a pretty good haul. Will the flat design make it a pig to pull? Anyone have any expierence with this? Maybe I need to get a Otter that comes in more of a sled?? Thanx.

4 answers to this question

Hey Big D Fish Killer,

My brother-in-law has one of these and it's pretty nice.

I just bought me the Pro Guide on Friday for $299.00 and I'm wondering if it's going to be big enough for me. I plan to use a snowmobile to pull it around. I haven't even opened my box yet.

I'm in the Metro area! If you think you want to go with the Guide instead perhaps we can talk, say even up. Think about it.

RB

I have one of the 5600 and if I can't drive out somewhere, then I pull it by hand. I replaced the short rope they provide with two longer ones. They have large loops in the ends so you can place them over your shoulders like a harness. Also if there are two people to pull, each grabs a rope, and your not tripping over each others feet.

I haven't had to pull it through deep snow, 4" is about all we had on the ground this year. I just used tie-downs to put everything on top of the clam.

I did buy a small otter sled recently to pull behind the clam and it has worked really well. I have to carry stuff for two small kids and myself, so I needed more room.

Hope this helps.

Brent

Big D,
I have but a ton of miles on with a 5600 by foot. I carry a couple of pails, a 20lbs cyl., and power auger. It all depends on how fit you are or how bad you want to fish. If I needed to walk over 1 1/2 miles I hooked up a harness to my cheasapeake and off we went. The dog loved it and he is a good fishing companion or something for the kids to play with when they got bored.

I have a 5600 and a 10 year old Clam Jr. I usually pull the smaller house early in the year and save the 5600 for driving out because it weighs about twice as much as the old Jr. I have seen a lot of different designs on the 5600 in the past 3 or 4 years. My cover is attached to the base with strap and plastic buckles. The square tube frame is attached to the base, folds up on each end, then telescopes up. Has a couple of top spreaders that hold the top in place. I have see a model that is a year older that the cover comes completely off with a round slip together round tube frame. Hard to say what the new ones are this year. I had to disassemble my entire frame to remove burrs to make it easier to set up. If you get any moisture in the tubes they can freeze together, making setup a real pain.