• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wiring Minn Kota Maxxum

AWH

Question

I just bought a Minn Kota Maxxum, 65 lbs thrust, 24V motor. Not being handy at all, I need some pointers in how to wire this. In looking at the operating instructions, it says that I will need to wire it in series. What pointers do you have here, how do I go about this? There is a diagram, but it doesn't really explain things the best. At least not to someone as unknowledgable as myself on this subject.

Also, the wiring from the foot control which will hook up with the batteries seems really short. It's 40", but that seems like it will be cutting it awfully close. Will this be long enough to run from the foot pad, up under the bow, and back to where the battery storage is? I don't have my boat where I can get at it easily to check it out. It's a new boat and still at the dealer.

I'm pretty much clueless when it comes to wiring a boat, this will be the first for me. Thanks for any help on the subject!

AWH

4 answers to this question

For starters, if your batteries are in the rear of the boat, additional heavy gauge power wires must be run to the front of the boat. From there, the short power cord on your trolling motor are plenty long enough to connect to your power wires.

A 24 volt motor must have two 12 volt batteries (connected in series) in order operate. You sure you'll have room for two trolling motor batteries and the boat motor starting battery back there?

Call you dealer and ask them if your boat comes with a bow mount trolling motor plug-in. If it does ask if the plug for the motor comes with it, if not just buy one. Cut the ends off the motor wires and put on the plug. If your boat is set up this way it will be pre-wired to the battery compartment.
Series wiring is simply one wire to the positive on one battery one to the negative on the OTHER battery and a jumper wire for the positive to negative in between.

Rob

Some additional information. The boat is a Crestliner 1650 Fish Hawk. The batteries will be located up front, just in front of the seat located on the front casting deck. In looking at the brochure, it does say it comes standard with a trolling motor panel with 12/24v outlet and trim switch. I also noticed in the operating instructions for the motor that it mentioned using a 50 amp auto reset circuit breaker.

Thanks for the replies!