• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Zercom LCF-40

Question

I looked at one of these at a local baitstore yesterday, and the price for the whole set up,that is the flasher,transducer,battery,and the base/holder is $239.99. Is this a decent sale price for this LCF? I have no experience with this flasher, so can you LCF-40 owners give me the pro's/con's of owning one.I have already read a few comments after doing a search here at FM.Folks at other forums say the LCF-40 is a good unit to have. Am I better off buying an FL-18 for a few more bucks? The money difference is not the issue,but I am looking for the real truth as to how this flasher actually runs,before plunking down the cash. Note: I am not intending to start the Vexilar vs. Zercom arguement again, because I already have an FL-8. I am looking to add another flasher to use when fishing with more people than just myself.

[This message has been edited by Marmooskaman (edited 12-16-2001).]

7 answers to this question

The only problem you might have with the Zercom is from interference off the FL-8. The Zercoms dont have and type of interference reduction, and both run at the same frequency.
Other than that it is a good unit.

Rob

Thanks,Rob. I did not realize the LCF-40 is a 200 khz unit. That really helps me in my decision.

[This message has been edited by Marmooskaman (edited 12-16-2001).]

I use a zercom and my buddies use the vex's they do the same thing but, they have a hard time reading the screen when the sun shines. I think the Vex company sells a shade or a can work good. For the price the Zercom is great plus I think the zerc is more accurate

okay here is how I am split, FL-18 for ice fishing and the Zercom LCF-40 in da boat in the summer. The only problem I see in the LCF-40 is the fact that it has an LCD display which, if I remember correctly freezes and damages below 20 degress F. This is what I have heard I could be wrong but I am about 99% sure. Although I say all this I will admit I am a diehard Vexilar fan, they've always just seemed to lead the industry. Oh ya one more problem, I know Vexilar has many more dealers then Zercom this means that there are probably more places that could fix your unit if it ever fails while you are on the trip of your life.

Hope this helps,
Mr_Fisherman

I bought the Zercom LCF-40 at Gander Mtn in Duluth around X-mas time for $199 as a closeout. I was worried it wasn't a "Vexilar" but have no complaints so far. I know I got a great deal on it!