• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Hand Held Depth Finders

SubZero14

Question

Has anyone ever used a hand held depth finder like the Strike Master Polar Vision? Do they work well and can they shoot through ice and snow when it gets 2 feet or thicker. Looking at buying one but would like to know if they work better that a Vexlar before I spend the 100 bucks.

4 answers to this question

If you have a VEX you are set, they can give you a depth reading and even show you if there are any fish down there.

I have been using the little Sitex hand held for years and like it, just smaller and easier to carry around. I know the spots I want to fish and use it to check depth and find the "edge" so I only have to drill a limited number of holes.

The best way to use the hand held or big Vex is to clear away the snow and dump some water from your minnow bucket, you will get your best reading if you have a perfect flat and wet surface to shoot through. Just putting the unit on the ice will show you the depth with little error.

My brother has one and we use it all the time. We just carry a small water bottle with us, as you need to put a little water on the ice to make good contact and get a good reading. Rough ice and air bubble in the ice will also affect it sometimes.

The MarCum LX-i handheld is a very good unit. All you have to do is kick the snow off the ice and it will shoot through the ice(any thickness) without putting water on it. With 2500 watts of power there is no need to put water on the ice.

Jimmy

[This message has been edited by Jimmy (edited 12-24-2003).]