• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Getting All Choked Up...

BassPatrol

Question

I own a 2 year old Strike Master Mag2000 and have problems starting it. Every time I start it I have to keep the choke closed. If I open it to the middle position it kills even after a few minutes of warming up. Is this normal?

4 answers to this question

BassPatrol,
That is not normal, When you start it, the choke should be fully closed, prime it a bit, then pull it over. After running for awile (15-30 seconds or so) Open the choke halfway, and begin to drill the first hole, when you are about halfway through the hole (depending of ice thickness) the engine should be up to operating temp, and you can open the choke all the way, and you should be good to go. If your unit seems to be more stubborn than that, you may have to give it a little more time between choke positions. If it is still stubborn, perhaps a carb tune-up needed.

[This message has been edited by coldone (edited 11-10-2001).]

Basspatrol,
Before you take it somewhere, inspect your carb, sounds like you may have a fuel starvation problem, Check all of the linkage for binding, look for any obstructions in the carb throat, check the primary and secondary needle valves, make sure they are adjusted properly, Also, remove or replace the sparkplug and while it is out check for good spark by grounding the plug to the block and slowly pulling it over. Also, make sure you have some fresh gas and oil with the right mixture. Check for leaks by spraying just a bit of carb cleaner with the engine running on the outside of the carb and around valves, linkage points, and gasket edges, if the engine sounds better(speeds up slightly or "smooths out" right after spraying a bit, you may have a leak. If all this checks out, you may have a problem with the main valves or the rings. You can daignose that, if you can get it to run with the choke open and the engine up to temp, do you still have as much power as when it was new(probably need some ice for that)? Check these out first and you may be able to fix it yourself. Good luck!