• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Frabill Predator or Citadel

dj2quick35

Anyone out there fishing in either of these houses?  how do you like the sidestep doors?  I see that the Citadel can come with the bench seat that has built in rod holder but the Predator does not.  If you have the bench, is it good or bad?  Any issues fitting into shortbed box?

The big difference in these shacks (besides the bench) is that the predator has a much bigger/deeper sled. The predator will not fit into a 5.5ft box with the tailgate closed without having to prop it up on the lip of the tailgate. The rod holder built into the citadel is nice but the only drawback I see is having a rod box that is fixed to your shack meaning you dont have a rod box to use if you go on a fishing trip where you are not using your shack.

6 hours ago, jwmiller33 said:

The big difference in these shacks (besides the bench) is that the predator has a much bigger/deeper sled. The predator will not fit into a 5.5ft box with the tailgate closed without having to prop it up on the lip of the tailgate. The rod holder built into the citadel is nice but the only drawback I see is having a rod box that is fixed to your shack meaning you dont have a rod box to use if you go on a fishing trip where you are not using your shack.

solid point about the bench seat and not being able to take the rod case with your

I cant remember which one I have.  It does fit in the 5.5ft box so must be the Citadel.  I think I bought it the first year they came out with the sidestep doors.  I really like the sidestep doors.  My dad has an older one with the traditional doors that is about the same size as mine, but mine feels twice as big on the inside.  There is a ton of room in front of you as you sit on the seats.  Not hitting the tent with an aggressive hook set is very nice.  And being able to go out the side and not have to climb through the sled or step over a heater in front of you to get out is awesome.  

I have the swivel "boat seats" and they are nice.  They fold up and there is a lot of room in the sled for everything else.  

I have the predator and love it.  It will fit in a 5.5' box but you have to prop the front of the sled (angled part) on the end gate.  I now switched to a 6.5' box and it fits great.  It is extremely heavy once you have it loaded up with gear.  Without gear it can be loaded and unloaded with one person.  The insulated tarp keeps it nice and warm.  Seats are ok, but I've never found a portable with comfortable seats.  Side doors are awesome, but I cannot figure out why they don't open the other direction.  I would think having the "hinge" side on the front would be better yet.

1 hour ago, lungdeflator said:

I cant remember which one I have.  It does fit in the 5.5ft box so must be the Citadel.  I think I bought it the first year they came out with the sidestep doors.  I really like the sidestep doors.  My dad has an older one with the traditional doors that is about the same size as mine, but mine feels twice as big on the inside.  There is a ton of room in front of you as you sit on the seats.  Not hitting the tent with an aggressive hook set is very nice.  And being able to go out the side and not have to climb through the sled or step over a heater in front of you to get out is awesome.  

I have the swivel "boat seats" and they are nice.  They fold up and there is a lot of room in the sled for everything else.  

Great info

53 minutes ago, nxtgeneration said:

I have the predator and love it.  It will fit in a 5.5' box but you have to prop the front of the sled (angled part) on the end gate.  I now switched to a 6.5' box and it fits great.  It is extremely heavy once you have it loaded up with gear.  Without gear it can be loaded and unloaded with one person.  The insulated tarp keeps it nice and warm.  Seats are ok, but I've never found a portable with comfortable seats.  Side doors are awesome, but I cannot figure out why they don't open the other direction.  I would think having the "hinge" side on the front would be better yet.

For both of you....do you run a buddy heater on a 20lb tank?  do you just run it under the skirting on the front?