• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Why do I catch?

Why do I catch more Pumpkinseeds and Green Sunfish during the summer? I rarely catch a Pumpkinseed or Green Sunfish during the winter. I would understand if I was fishing different lakes, but I am fishing the same lakes. It seems odd to me that I catch Pumpkinseeds and Green Sunfish often during the summer and then just like one or 2 during the whole ice season. 

The best reason I can come up with is that I use bigger baits during the summer, but I fish the same areas as I do in the winter. 

Anyone else notice this as well? 

Do you spend a lot of time in the shallows during the winter months? I catch pumpkins, greens and hybrids in the shallow weeds most of the winter. They are definitely a more aggressive fish too, so if they are in the area they are oftentimes the first to bite... at least from my experiences...

But you are right, they will eat those bigger baits in the summer... we catch them all the time on wacky rigs and drop-shots while bass fishing...

One of the lakes I fish all the time is shallow under 10 feet deep and I fish in normally from 5-8 feet on the weed edges. In some of the other lakes that I fish different areas during the summer and winter. I might have to go shallower this winter. 

I know that in summer I use a 1/16 oz to 1/8 oz jig head with a piece of crawler or leech and 1/32 to 1/16 oz jig head with twister tails from 1 inch to 2.5 inches in the summer. In the winter I am use 2.5 mm tungsten jigs all the way up jigging spoons I most would use for perch or walleyes. I would say the size I use most is 3mm sized jigs with a wax worm or euros.  I use a 1/32 oz jig with a maki mino.